We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

Which Vermont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to stay with two young kids to split the 9 hour drive into two?

I'm a little worried about staying in Springfield, Mass, which seems like the natural stopping point, because of the six flags traffic.

Suggestions appreciated.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 32
1. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

If you don't want to stay in Springfield, drive a bit further to either Deerfield, Greenfield, or Brattleboro. I believe there is a hotel in Deerfield next to the Yankee Candle Factory. You may want to post a question on the Massachusetts board and maybe you can get more specific answers. Hope you have a great trip!

Vermont
reviews: 2
2. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

Unless you hit Springfield MA at rush hour it is painless to get through. I always just avoid rush hour and have not had any problems. I might reconsider staying in Springfield. I've had a couple hairy experiences there - it can be a bit of a rough place. If you can push through the city, not too far north are some nice small towns with some of the usual hotels, Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.

I looked at mapquest and they came up with a different route from Philly to Jeffersonville that is just under 8 hours. I typed in Philadephia as starting point and Jeffersonville, VT as ending point. Mid point would be somewhere around Albany on this route.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Ash

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 32
3. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

Travelin Ash makes a good point when she stated that Albany would be a good halfway point. It's probably easier to get to Smuggs by coming up I87 through NY and take the Route 149 to 4 to 22A to 7 route and come up western VT.

Southern New...
reviews: 26
4. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

I would stay in Stockbridge, MA which is a true New England village and the home of Norman Rockwell and his museum. It just off the MA Pike and a stone's throw to the NY line.

Vermont
reviews: 2
5. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

Yes, Stockbridge is a beautiful village! However, I think it may be a bit out of the way for ranihowie. It looks like they would be driving up 91. Anyone have a other suggestions of nice villages right off 91 in Mass?

Ash

New York City, New...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

Hello, We've been doing this trip for years - - since our 10 & 11 year old kids were babies and many years prior. Deerfield is the best stop amd then you'll only have a few hours the next a.m.

We leave Phila. at around 4, travel north via the Tappan Zee and then work our way thru Westchester to the Merit Pkway (15) - - from there to 91 up thru Ct. ,MA (into a hotel by around 10) and into VT (only a few miles) the next a.m.

Northwestern VT
7. Re: Driving to Smugglers Notch from Philly in August - want to...

When we travel to Phi8lly from VT, we take the route TravelingAsh

mentioned above. We break up our trip with a stop in Newburgh, NY (an hour south of Albany). There are plenty of hotel/motels right off the highway. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn.