We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish Highland Cows

Which Vermont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 2
Scottish Highland Cows

Ok, this is a bit of a longshot, but I absolutely love these kind of cows. Yes, I live in the Midwest and shouldn't be excited about cows (ha!), but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a farm with these kind of cows at all? I'm a photographer and just dying to get a picture of these cows amongst the fall foliage.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
reviews: 232
1. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

Morning Yellowliax,

Delightful animals! Indeed there were two in a field with a donkey at Bridgwater Corners on the way to Killington on route 4, but since the Tropical Storm damaged their field, the donkey has lot his chums! So they are in State.....

Illinois
2. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

Darn! :(

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 41
3. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

This month's issue of Yankee magazine has a photo of a Scottish Highlander in a snowy pasture at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe (see page 90). The photo was taken in the 1990s, at which time the herd was owned by Carroll Shatney, whose "cattle are famous throughout the U.S.," according to the photographer, Peter Miller. The caption notes that Mr. Shatney died in 2009, but his son has taken over managing the herd. Based on that information, they shouldn't be hard to track down. Good luck!

Illinois
4. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

Oooh I hope that's true! A farm by us has a couple, but it's along a highway and not the best for photos (well as "highway" as it gets here in small town, usa)

Stowe, Vermont
reviews: 48
5. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

Hi yellowlilax! I couldn't resist responding since Scottish Highlands are also our favorite (along with belted galloways). We've got them on our "wish list" to add to our farm one day. Until then, we enjoy the neighbor's Highlands.

Pastiche is exactly right, the Trapp Family Lodge does in fact have Scottish Highlands "in residence". They are out and available for pictures from the late spring through the fall. This time of year (winter), the cows are a bit more difficult for guests to see. For more "up close" shots, there are two Highlands on Randolph Road, just north of Stowe off of Rt 100. Their cow had a baby last year, and we snapped as many photos as we could! So, cute. Mom and junior are usually grazing right by the roadside and are easy to see right up close.

I'll add two more cow-gazing great stops for you if you're in the area:

1) Route 100 in Waitsfield is the Vermont Yak company (http://www.vermontyak.com/). These guys have the same long hair look that the Scottish Highlands have. Super cute.

2) Elmore Mtn Road, just north of Stowe, VT. The Keith Family Farm has expansive herds grazing just beside the road (Holsteins). With the backdrop of Mt. Mansfield, fall photos of the cows are amazing. (and if you're looking at the Scottish Highlands on Randolph road, the Keith Farm is just 3 miles away).

Finally, if you're ever in NH, a stop by Paradise Farm in Lyndeborough, NH is a must (http://paradisefarmnh.com/grass-fed-beef/). They raise Scottish Highlands and you can get right up close. We made a special trip there to see the Scottish Highlands one time and had a great time seeing the full farm (cows, goats, etc)

Hope that helps!

Caroline

Illinois
6. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

Caroline - Bless your heart! Thank you SO much for this!! I called my husband immediately to tell him about this. I'm SO excited!!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 41
7. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

And if you're looking for something a little more exotic, there's a camel at a place on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh...

Illinois
8. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

Thank you!!! I would love to check that out too :)

Waitsfield, Vermont
9. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

You should contact Greenfield Highland Beef, in Plainfielf VT they have highland cattle and are a couple of the nicest folks you will ever meet.

Waitsfield
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
reviews: 24
10. Re: Scottish Highland Cows

The pasture next to Kenyon's Variety Store in Waitsfield has Highland Cows & as stated above the VT Yak Company is close by.