We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip - healthy eating - help please

Which Utah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stromness, Orkney...
Road trip - healthy eating - help please

I am planning to drive across the US, from North East to South West, in August 2008.

Can anyone suggest places to reliably find healthy food whilst driving - markets or stores or eating places?

I do not eat many food types - including all this:

No dairy, no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, no fruit (sugar), no wheat, no caffeine, no 'junk'.

I do eat wholegrains, nuts, seeds, fish, meat, pulses (beans), sprouted seeds, and so on, but only when free of sugar. I eat a lot of vegetables, freshly cooked and organic where possible.

I eat little salt and oddly butter is allowed. Goats products are also ok, as is occassional natural yoghurt but milk is out!

The last time I did this journey, the food choices on route were very disappointing and after week two my guts were aching from lack of fibre (despite a supply of figs and fibre, they could not combat the processed white flours and refined foods).

The route is not yet defined but it is a big country and despite a lot of "good places to eat", it is the 'other' places that are of concern - where there seems only fast food outlets and foods from flour, fat and sugar.

Has anyone a tip for where to find reliable supplies, a particular store or chain?

The car is to be loaded up with supplies, obviously, and this diet does allow meat and fish and rice and beans and vegetables ... but, any tips would be very helpful - and useful to many other people too, not just travellers but all who have weight to lose, nutrients to find, and who care for their bodies.

Best wishes - and thanks in advance!

Malcolm

Jacksonville...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Road trip - healthy eating - help please

Dear Five,

I am not an expert on your diet requirements but I do have some suggestions as to where to shop. There are several chains of Organic super markets across the US. Not all will be everywhere but most cities of any size should have at least one or their equivalient.

Whole Foods-have a deli and pre cooked foods

The Fresh Market- have a deli and pre cooked foods

Trader Joes( think they have above but have never shopped there since they aren't in my area).

Also many of the everyday markets are jumping on the whole/organic food band wagon so you might check those out.

Also many 'health food stores' have gluten free foods.

As for restaurants maybe some one here has some suggestions or you could Google health food restaurant in the US and see what comes up.

I have just one more source to suggest. The Weight Watcher(US) message boards are free and the people on not only live all across the US but have food issues of their own so you might try posting a similar request on there.

I hope this helps.

Karen

Murray, Utah
reviews: 11
2. Re: Road trip - healthy eating - help please

Here is a link to a chain of stores that might be helpful. In Utah they work under the name: Wild Oats.

www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html Here is a link to the previously-mentioned Trader Joe's, a family favorite: http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

Salt Lake City
reviews: 14
3. Re: Road trip - healthy eating - help please

Wild Oats has been taken over by Whole Foods so in Utah you'll find Whole Foods stores in their place now. You're most likely going to need to stock up on your grocery supplies while in large cities because in small town and rural America you're unlikely to find a good source for anything that fits your criteria.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Road trip - healthy eating - help please

After so many replies to your posts I'm curious if they were helpful. Are you on your way yet?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 104
5. Re: Road trip - healthy eating - help please

I echo the idea of buying a lot when you are in an urban area. I found that there were no Trader Joes nor Whole Foods in much of Utah. I am not sure if there were even any in Salt Lake City/Provo area. You might also keep your eye open for farmer's markets. They will have very fresh (and often organic) produce. However, these are local events and occur about one day a week in each town. You will have to be "lucky" to come across one.

6. Re: Road trip - healthy eating - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 am, October 06, 2009