We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPods Tax Free

Which Texas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
iPods Tax Free

Hi all,

We got two iPods stolen in Argentina. We would like to replace them, and since we are flying back via George Bush International (9 hour stopover) this seems the cheapest option.

3 questions:

1. Are iPod Touch products available duty free?

2. Is there a price difference between products duty free and in Houston? (Apple products are cheaper in the States, don't know about duty free)

3. If we need to go into the country, what is the closest location and cost of transport to get these products?

Thanks in advance!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 209
1. Re: iPods Tax Free

If you know what you want, you can probably buy replacements at the Best Buy store in Greenspoint Mall. They usually are fairly competitive pricewise, but Greenspoint Mall is not the safest mall in the city at which to shop, especially after dark. If you're going there, see if your taxi driver will wait for you to take you back to the airport, which is only about 5-6 miles away. I'd guess a round-trip taxi will run you about $25-$30, but that's a guess--ask the cab dispatcher for a better estimate.

There may be other places in Deerbrook Mall that sell the iPod Touch products, but none of the retailers would be selling them duty-free unless there are some products available at full retail in the duty-free store.

Sorry about your loss. Good luck.

Dallas
reviews: 17
2. Re: iPods Tax Free

In Texas, you are entitled to a sales tax refund. There is a service that will process your refund for you, but they take a hefty chunk, 35 - 50%. There must be a way to get the taxes back without using a service, but I have no idea what it is. Their website is http://taxfreetexas.com and they indicate that they have a location at IAH and that Best Buy & Apple are both participating stores There are some caveats, so read the fine print.

reviews: 1
3. Re: iPods Tax Free

Thanks for these helpfull replies.

Judging from your answers they are not available on the airport?

Edited: 10:59 pm, February 21, 2014
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Midland, Austin
reviews: 8
4. Re: iPods Tax Free

There are several Best Buy kiosks at IAH. I'm pretty sure they sell iPods. I really don't recall if any are in the international terminal behind security. I also don't have any idea about the sales tax or duty free status if you purchase one.

Type Houston in the find a kiosk field. The map feature is worthless.

bestbuy.com/site/…

This seems to indicate that the kiosks are behind security.

ifly.com/george-bush-intercontinental-airpor…

5. Re: iPods Tax Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 23, 2015