We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas starting point for road trip

London, United...
reviews: 52
Texas starting point for road trip

Hello - we are looking into planning a road trip from Texas to Florida, looking at a max 3 week trip.

One suggested route is flying into Dallas, and then taking in Forth Worth, Austin, San Antonio and then heading south east into Louisiana (we don't know how many nights it is worth staying in each yet).

This is probably one more stop than we would like to make, becuase we want to stop a couple of times in each state along the way.If we would have to lose one of these stop offs which one would it be. Or does anyone have an alternative itinerary?

Thanks in advance - all suggestions very welcome!

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 159
1. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

Dallas and Ft. Worth are only an hour or so apart, and share the major international airport. Austin and San Antonio are also an hours drive from each other. I don't think you have to drop one. If you fly into Dallas (DFW Airport), you can easily go straight to Ft. Worth, then drive south on Interstate 35. Austin will be first and then San Antonio. Both are worth a stop of at least a couple of days, but if you only want to stay the night in one, you can easily do a day trip to the other. There is more nightlife in Austin, but more tourist focused activities in San Antonio, so where you decide to stay depends on your priorities in those areas.

If I were doing this trip for the first time, I would stay the first two nights in the Ft. Worth Stockyards, then two nights in Austin, followed by three in San Antonio, before heading to Louisiana. Definitely plan to spend at least 3 nights in New Orleans before continuing on.

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 59
2. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

Driving straight through - San Antonio to New Orleans - will be a long day's drive. I'd suggest overnighting in Lafayette to enjoy a good Cajun/Creole dinner and some Zydeco music. No will offer the same, but Lafayette is in the middle the Cajun Capital and I believe you'd receive a smaller, more personal entertainment experience. The next day will be a relatively easy drive into NO. Along I-10, you'll cross the Atchafalaya Basin, the largest swamp in the U.S. before entering Baton Rouge. It's quite a unique drive.

Here are a couple of websites to peruse for information about each of the cities (and their outlying areas/suburbs) you mentioned.

http://www.traveltex.com/cities-regions.aspx - Regions of note: Prairies & Lakes (DFW); Hill Country (Austin); South Texas Plains (San Antonio)

http://www.louisianatravel.com/cajun-country (If you haven't already done so, you should post on the Louisiana forum as well.)

London, United...
3. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

Hi there - thanks for your thoughts. I think we will have to think hard about having overnight stays in Forth Worth, Austin and San Antonio because we do want to go to Lafayette and NO and onward stops in Mississippi, Alabama and florida. I'll be posting in the respective state forums as I map it out. Thanks again!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
reviews: 60
4. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

If you can find a flight into San Antonio that is where I would start. I know most international flights come into IAH or DFW but I would skip Dallas-Ft. Worth altogether and spend a few days in the San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country area and then take I10 to Louisiana. If you fly into IAH you are just a couple hours from San Antonio by car. You could then backtrack toward Louisiana through Houston after enjoying central Texas. You could easily spend 5-7 nights enjoying San Antonio, Austin, and the Texas Hill Country.

London, United...
5. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

Thanks. I think we might be limited to using BA who fly to dallas or Houston but if we're not then I'll look into potentially flying straight into San Antonio

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 59
6. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

Ummm.... I would not be so quick to write off DFW. :) Dallas may be fairly corporate, but it has its merits and FW is definitely unique unto the state. With the historic Stockyards and The Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame, FW reflects as much TX history as does San Antonio with the Alamo and missions.

Simply stated, TX is a large state with much to offer. Where ever you decide to allocate time along this southern route, I don't think you will encounter disappointment.

7. Re: Texas starting point for road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 21, 2014