We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

Which Texas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
B.C
Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

Hi all,

Just want some tips ahead of time. I've always wanted to travel the southern states, so myself and some friends are putting together a trip for next year. If anyone has some tips on good hotels/motels/hostels, entertainment- preferably live music or theatrical, good eats, prehistoric and historic sites (Archaeology major- I have to nerd out a little bit) places to avoid. We're looking into Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, and Florida... Trying to make a road trip out of it, time span :14-20 days, on a semi cheap budget. If anyone has any recommendations, please please present. Can't wait to hear them!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

Are you planning to do a road trip like this from British Columbia in 14-20 days?

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
2. Re: Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

Dinosaur Valley State Park just west of Fort Worth, TX

…state.tx.us/spdest/…

B.C
3. Re: Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

We'll be flying down... I might even make it a month vacation, depending on the priorities of my friends coming with... After August 2013, I got nothing in the way of priorities for at least 2 months!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

Major hub for the southern states is Atlanta. You easily can make a round trip from there including Georgia, TN, NV, SC, VA and Fl. Dallas is a hub for Tx and best for a visit to Tx, LA, TN, AR etc. But with 20 days you won't be able to see all mentioned states. Texas is a huge state and you already can spend 20 days just for that. Of coiurse there are more destination for a flight like Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans etc.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 144
5. Re: Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

Here's a link to an NPR feature on Texas archeological sites which I think you'll find interesting. www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php… and heres one to the Texas Historical Commission's page on La Salle's ship http://www.thc.state.tx.us/belle/

For more recent history, west of Ft. Worth is where the the Wild West happened. For most of the 19th century, the Comanches and Kiowas gave as good as they got from the invading Anglos. That ended with the battle at Palo Duro Canyon in 1874. Http:/…btp03 The Texas Fort Trail is an interesting look at the period. www.texasfortstrail.com/index.aspx?page=1240

San Antonio's famous Alamo and the other sites on the Mission Trail are must sees for historians.

For live music, you can't beat Austin and you'll find good music venues all around the state.

If possible, plan your trip for the latter part of September or even October. The weather gets more pleasant in our part of the world after the cool fronts usually begin to arrive the second half of Sept.

Here's one more link to my list of the highlights in our major cities. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr…

Edited: 2:03 pm, May 06, 2012
6. Re: Planning a Graduation/Birthday vacation, Sept 2013...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, June 22, 2013