We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tennessee to Washington DC

Which Tennessee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Folsom, California
Tennessee to Washington DC

I'm planning a road trip with 3 active and fun 50+ girlfriends for next Spring. We're interested in ideas on the best route and attractions to visit between Nashville an Washington DC. We're not adverse to going off the beaten path but we do only have 3 days to make the trip. Any suggestions? Any and all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
reviews: 36
1. Re: Tennessee to Washington DC

So that you don't stray an unreasonable distance from your route I would set my sights on Franklin, TN, just south of Nashville, then Gatlinburg before heading back to I-40. Franklin is very close to your route and offers some quaint Civil War era architecture, tours, music and shops. It can be slightly less than a day's experience when you're on a tight schedule. If you can manage at least a night and a full day in the mountainous Gatlinburg area, you'll be able to do a short tour in the Smoky Mtn. Natl' Park and walk the shops in town to get a feel for the attraction. The atmosphere on the main drag leans toward the touristy side, but is good for facilitating a short visit. Travel safely and have a good time.

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 38
2. Re: Tennessee to Washington DC

Your best route Nashville-DC is I40 - I81 - I66. Yes, I81 has plenty of trucks, but so do I40 through the NC Piedmont, I85 and I95. Along with the 'detours' suggested by tnhighroad, you could also stop in Asheville, NC (lively arts scene, good restaurants, Biltmore) and/or Charlottesville, Va. (great college town with plenty of history, Monticello).

Edited: 10:02 am, October 28, 2013
Folsom, California
3. Re: Tennessee to Washington DC

Thanks! I like the Franklin idea I know someone who has lived there and they loved it. I appreciate the info.

Folsom, California
4. Re: Tennessee to Washington DC

Thanks for your input. This gives me lots of great ideas. I can't wait to visit the area. I've heard it

is just beautiful and so different from Northern California.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
reviews: 36
5. Re: Tennessee to Washington DC

You're very welcome Here's a suggestion: Read the book "Widow Of The South" by Robert Hicks before visiting Franklin. It's the true story of a lady whose home was engulfed in the terrible Civil War battle fought near Franklin and how she cared for hundreds of wounded soldiers, some long after the event ended. She then remained dedicated to the welfare of the wounded vets and concerned for the dead left behind in the area. She single handedly raised money and coordinated the efforts to bury the neglected fallen, wearing a black mourning dress the rest of her life and walking the graves of the cemetery she created on her own property. It was suggested that she became personally involved with one of the injured soldiers housed in her home during the hostilities and the book goes on from there. Carnton, her home, and the old cemetery are still available for tours. The small town of Leipers Fork is near Franklin and has a General Store venue which features live local music. Loveless Cafe is west of town, having good country cookin, homemade Jams & Jellies and crafts & goodies. Travel safely. (www.widowofthesouth.com)

Edited: 8:34 am, November 01, 2013
Reply to: Tennessee to Washington DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted