We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Else to Go?

Which South Dakota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
reviews: 12
Where Else to Go?

We are planning a family road trip in June. It will be myself, my husband, and our 2 daughters (age 14 and an almost 4 year old). We're driving from Colorado, and plan to spend about 3 nights in either Hill City, Custer, or Keystone. We're still researching and trying do decide which one. We'll also do 2 nights in Rapid City. We have the time to add on a little more to the trip. Should we just stay in the area longer, or is it worth considering Deadwood, Spearfish, or Hot Springs?

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!

Christi

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
1. Re: Where Else to Go?

How many extra days do you have? I would definitely make one of those an overnight in the Badlands. Also, an overnight in Spearfish wouldn't be a bad idea so you could visit Devil's Tower, the fish hatchery, the wildlife sanctuary and drive/hike in Spearfish Canyon.

We did an 8-day trip to the Black Hills last June and spent 2 nights in Rapid City, 1 night in the Badlands, 1 night in Spearfish and 4 nights in Custer. We were able to see and do in lot in those 8 days.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
2. Re: Where Else to Go?

An overnight in the Badlands, or at least a daytrip there is a must do, IMO. It would be very helpful to know exactly how many days you have. If you have a full week to tour (not counting driving days from Colorado), you will certainly have time for all three towns you mention. You could also consider stopping in Hot Springs on your way in

Fort Collins...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Where Else to Go?

Thanks for the suggestions.We can do anything between 6 and 8 nights, depending on how much money we decide to spend. We've decided to add on Hill City, and let the kids do the Junior Paleontology program.We'll also consider a night in the badlands. :-)

Christi

Illinois
reviews: 175
4. Re: Where Else to Go?

I'd drop the 2 nights in Rapid City, unless you have some compelling reason to stay there, and tack those nights onto somewhere else. Our must sees in the area are the Badlands, Wall Drug (even if just for a roadside respite of an hour or so), Mount Rushmore, and Custer State Park (you can spend several days here). Devil's Tower is worth seeing and we're finally going to see Spearfish Canyon (our 5th visit to the area and we've yet to see it!). Deadwood is neat and fun if you want to gamble but based on your kids' ages wouldn't be at the top of my list. If there are Rapid City attractions you want to see you can still easily visit them if you stay in Hill City, Custer, or Keystone.

Reply to: Where Else to Go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted