We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Which South Dakota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Black Hills
Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Can somebody please help Me find an area called King`s Ridge?

I am looking for the old Halstead Homestead that may have some Family ties.

It would be most helpful if somebody could show Me on a " Topo Map " . I would like to get some pictures.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Doc

7 replies to this topic
Rapid City, South...
1. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Hello 'Doc',

Did I write this??!! They call me 'Doc' also!!...After my grandfather, Dr. C.W. Hargens. You must be looking for Lame Johnny's lost caves. I grew up in Custer State Park and I still maintain the family house below Legion Lake. I believe that 'Kings Ridge' was the former name of Boland Ridge. I have spent many years and walked hundreds of miles in northern Wind Cave National Park and southern Custer State Park looking for the elusive caves. Lame Johnny's original residence was up the draw from the Buffalo Corrals. After he was hung (I.E. murdered by Boone May) what was left of the cabin site was taken over as the headquarters of the Fleur de Lys Ranch. I have found many caves in the area but none that match the old rancher's description of 1912. I believe there may have been some larger caves that were destroyed when they made the shortcut road through Oak Draw. Or the caves may have collapsed. When I was a kid, I used to play in some caves on Lower French Creek. Some time after I came back from Army active duty the caves collapsed. You must be aware that some of the available maps have inaccuracies. I spoke with the cartographer at the Custer Forest Service office and he said he was going to correct the mistakes in their map. Happy Hunting. Look out for the rattle snakes, rouge male buffalo bulls and mountain lions down there!!

Kenny

khargens1024@msn.com

Black Hills
2. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Hey Ken, Are You the same feller I bought some Motorcycle parts from a few years ago?

Rapid City, South...
3. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Howdy Doc!

Yes, I am the same guy. I got your phone message and I'll ring you up in a couple days. I have been out to my other place for a while. I see a Triumph advertised down there in Custer on the Craigslist. Was that yours? The guy who made that posting above hasn't replied. I think he must be a little uncomfortable about being 'found out'. What he requests is exact wording from the brief article in the Custer County History volume where a rancher describe a couple caves he found back in the early 1900,s. Cave possibly used by the outlaw, Lame Johnny.

Kenny

Keystone, SD
reviews: 11
4. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

I don't know where that particular homestead is, but King's Ridge is near Lame Johnny Creek which you can reach from Lame Johnny Road (County 16). The road intersects SD 79 about half way between Fairburn and Buffalo Gap. Take the Lame Johnny Road west from SD 79 and you will see several ranches. Google 13584 Lame Johnny Road, Fairburn, SD 57738 for a map of the area. Good luck.

PS You can also pick up Lame Johnny Road from the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park near the corrals.

Black Hills
5. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Thanks Dean, I think this info will help.

May I ask where You got your Info?

Keystone, SD
reviews: 11
6. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Several years ago there was an article in Deadwood Magazine about the lynching of Lame Johnny and it mentioned Kings Ridge which was said to be near the spot where he was buried (since dug up). It's no longer called Kings Ridge and doesn't show on maps. I believe another responder had the current name. The NPS rangers at Wind Cave have done night walks in the area and they may have some knowledge of which homesteads became various ranches.

Rapid City, South...
7. Re: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area

Hello,

The magazine article was an excerpt from the OUR YESTERDAYS which was a history of eastern Custer County. I defy ANYONE to show me on any map where 'Kings Ridge' was originally located. I have walked dozens (hundreds?) of miles looking for these 'lost' caves and consulted Darton's maps from the 1890's for 'Kings Ridge'. To of no avail. Lots of artifacts discovered and other caves though. The folks at Wind Cave present as very pompous and self-important and refuse to discuss any historical aspects of our National Park. The folks at Custer State Park profess to have some historical interest but all are relative newcomers and they have little historical knowledge. I grew up in CSP in a log cabin built in 1877 and recognized by my family as the first school house in the Black Hills. It was initially used by my Grandfather in 1890. I may have as much or more historical knowledge of the area as anyone.

Kenneth Hargens

khargens1024@msn.com

Reply to: Finding King`s Ridge around Buffalo Gap area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted