We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

Travelers should be advised that the Black Hills is under a blizzard warning in effect until 9AM Saturday. Snowfall amounts thus far vary from 7 inches in Rapid City to 22 inches in Lead. This is not over yet. 4,400 are without power. No travel advised in Rapid City. Travel prohibited in Spearfish. I-90 is closed from Sturgis to the WY border. Deadwood Oktoberfest postponed. If you are arriving after the blizzard passes, be advised that it will take some time for roads to be cleared and you may have to adjust your plans.

I won't post every blizzard that hits the area throughout the winter, but wanted to continue to give tourists a heads-up on this one because this is a lot of snow for October and some people may be caught off guard.

kotatv.com/story/23609465/travel-becoming-di…

If you are traveling to extreme eastern SD, the weather will be unpleasant, but precip is supposed to be in the form of rain only.

7 replies to this topic
Winchester...
reviews: 64
1. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

stuck in Lusk, WY for two nights trying to get to RC for a wedding on Saturday...

Gilbert, Arizona
reviews: 1
2. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

Thank you so much for the update!! We travelers who certainly weren't expecting snow appreciate the updates! We arrive Monday so hopefully at least some roads are cleared! Our 5 year old is so excited to see snow for the first time!

3. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

I have 3 adults 2 children stuck there, is there a place like shelter they can go to?

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
4. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

I know no idea about shelters. They would have to contact someone in Rapid City.

Lead ended up with 43 inches and Rapid City with 20.

Gilbert, Arizona
reviews: 1
5. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

Does anyone know are the power outages affecting Rapid City? Do they have a time frame of when they might fix it?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
6. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

I saw this on the news this morning. Unbelievable snowfall totals for October! It's in the 80's here in South Jersey right now. Safe travels, everyone.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
7. Re: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)

I did a bit of checking and anyone seeking info. on closures, shelters, etc. try kotatv.com. There are updates and info. on that site.

Reply to: Blizzard Update for travelers (final post)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted