We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night stay.

crawley
5 night stay.

Hallo, I know it's a very similar question to others, but I want a 5 night stay, based in one place. I want to visit Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Crazy horse ,Custer state Park , but stay somewhere nice that has easy access to restaurants as well. I was trying to find a resort style place in the area, but am having trouble. re the lodges at Custer State Park a very long drive to any towns at all ?

Also we are thinking of next Sept , and will either start our trip here and finish in Jackson (via Devils Tower, Cody, Yellowstone and Grand teton ) or do it the other way round . Any advice re. weather for that time of year ? All together we will have around 16/17 nights to play with.

14 replies to this topic
crawley
11. Re: 5 night stay.

Thanks all, great advice .

crawley
12. Re: 5 night stay.

Thankyou all for your advice. We have booked the majority of the trip but not the cabin yet. We have decided to go to Grand Teton and Yellowstone first. I know some people have said that maybe we will find the Black hills area less spectacular but, I agree with sirtravelplanner. We have never been there before and think we will enjoy it all. Also we have managed to get accomm in Yellowstone for the earlier dates, so really had to book it.We are in Jackson (2 nights) Grand Teton (1 night),Old faithful cabin (2 nights) Canyon Lodge (2 nights ) Cody (2 nights) Sheridan (1 night) then Deadwood (1 night) and have 5 nights for the Custer/Hill City area. I think it will tie in with the buffalo round up too as we leave on 27th sept next year. So any other tips/ideas for me at all? have heard the Beartooth highway is a 'must do' ? Is it much out of our way on the way to Cody ?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
13. Re: 5 night stay.

The Buffalo Roundup is usually around the time you will be leaving. You mean you are leaving for your trip on the 27th, right? Although I have not been, many say the roundup is very interesting and well worth the time, so if the timing does coincide, I'd go for it.

You will be moving a fair amount, but in the long run, you will minimize your drive times when seeing the sights. The time in Yellowstone is great. When you stay in Canyon, focus on the upper half of the figure 8 road (Lamar Valley, Mammoth, Canyon and Tower, and while in Old Faithful, focus on the geyser basins, Hayden Valley, Yellowstone Lake, & Norris. You can probably catch West Thumb Geyser basin coming in from Jackson/Tetons.

I'm glad you have 2 nights in Cody. You will need it for touring the museums. And yes....definitely drive the Beartooth if it's open. I'm thinking it may very well be closed. If anyone knows an exact date of its closing, please let us know. I know it's typically governed by weather and close at any time. It's a spectacular drive and would be quite easy coming from Canyon. You could go through the Lamar Valley and out the northeast entrance through Cooke city and over the pass and down into Cody. We did this exact plan before stopping in Cody for the night. We were in Cody by around 3 p.m. but we did get an early start in order to see the wildlife in Lamar.

Five nights is a very nice amount of time for the Black Hills (actually 6 nights if you count Deadwood). Some might say this is a bit too much time. If you decide that, you could always add a couple of days to your Yellowstone trip, if you can snag accomodations. Whatever you decide, you are going to have a great trip!

Let us know if you have more questions.

crawley
14. Re: 5 night stay.

Thanks for the Yellowstone tips, much appreciated. We have had to pre book stuff from Uk in order for me to get the best prices so we would be unable to add on in Yellowstone . We just felt that we could have a bit of a relax at the end of the trip as well as sightseeing. Yes, our flight home is on 27th Sept-so I bet we'll miss the round up .I completely misunderstood the dates there ! Never mind , it will be fantastic.

Reply to: 5 night stay.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted