We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2014

Hauraki Plains
reviews: 31
Christmas 2014

Hi, We are thinking of travelling to New York, Boston etc at Christmas and would love to go to Rhode Island etc. However, one big factor is the time of year as far as the weather is concerned. Are we mad?? Unfortunately we are constrained by NZ school holidays. Or are we better to go further south like New Orleans etc?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
1. Re: Christmas 2014

Hi muffin,

It's a bit of a risk, weather-wise. Usually the big storms tend to hit after Christmas. On the other hand Christmas in NY, Newport and Boston is beautiful! It's the only time of year I go to NYC. If possibly cold, snowy weather doesn't bother you, I would do it. You would actually save quite a bit of money visiting Newport at that time of year compared to northern hemisphere summer, .

I have been to Christmas Carnival in New Orleans, but it's the first weekend in December, I think, or the second, not actually at Christmas. It was fun. If I had to choose between NYC and New Orleans, I'd pick NYC.

Hauraki Plains
reviews: 31
2. Re: Christmas 2014

Thanks for the helpful advice, my husbands and my worry was that we would be snow bound and everything would be closed down for winter. However, after receiving your reply I think we should come your way.

CT
reviews: 43
3. Re: Christmas 2014

you can check the schedules but depending on where in RI that you want to go the mansions in Newport get really decked out for xmas. Went there for Christmas carols a few years ago and it was really nice.

If there is a storm, the roads are cleared up pretty fast.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
4. Re: Christmas 2014

We haven't been snowbound for more than 12 hours or so since 1978, and that was in February, and I would say we learned our lesson back then. The airports might be a problem, but the roads clear quite quickly. And if it IS snowing, please be safe and stay put until the roads ARE clear. In fact this past winter we did have a big one in January and the governor ordered the roads closed during the storm, 6 or so hours, and the plows had no trouble keeping up with the snow with the cars off the road. We have gotten pretty good at this snow thing!

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Christmas 2014

Orkan Sandy and Blizzard Nemo were total nightmares, many without power for days, weeks. But yes we are usually wishing for snow for Christmas because Newport and NYC are special then; cozy times. Often, the 'really' cold and nasty weather doesn't hit us till later in the winter.

6. Re: Christmas 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 21, 2014