We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Which Rhode Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Cape Cod in a day from Newport

HI, we have 3 nights at Newport/Cape Cod area and would like some advice as to whether it is possible to 'do' Cape Cod in a day whilst staying in Newport i.e have 3 nights in Newport and visit Cape Cod rather than 2 in Newport and 1 in Cape Cod. If a day trip is possible, what are the best places to visit a day, I realise that getting as far as Provincetown is unlikely.

Any help appreciated

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Sure you can drive to the Lower Cape for the day, but you can't really do the Cape in a day, as it is too busy and congested. We always went to the Sandwich area, as they were nice and historic and not that far, but in my opinion a drive to Little Compton, RI is more special. Hyannis is a busy port of call, Chatham is very beautiful, but like a lot on the Cape access and parking at the private shore is limited, except for the big, beautiful National beaches on the Outer Cape, which would be a commitment. On a weekend it might take up to 6 hours to drive all the way to Ptown for example. Some alternatives would be to take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard from Quonset, RI -or take the ferry to Block Island for the day, the beaches are just as beautiful.

Boston...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Personally I'd skip the cape and venture out from Newport to Bristol and other close by towns.

Sandwich is nice but it's not for everyone. Falmouth is a straight shot down 195, over the Bourne. Nice beaches, nice downtown and woods hole.

Check out the ferry schedule from fall river to mv.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
3. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

I just returned from the cape last night. Getting there was a breeze, less than 2 hours. Once there the traffic was awful. And it's not even high season yet! All the hotels had vacancies. I can't imagine once it fills up!

I was just trying to get to the ferry for Nantucket, and we crawled along. The big attraction of Cape Cod is the beaches, and our beaches are actually better here in RI. No great white shark sightings around here, either. If you feel like you'd rather see more than just Newport I would recommend Little Compton, RI. Beautiful small town, farm sweeps down to the sea, nice vineyard for a wine tasting... it's my favorite RI town. It's about 40 minutes from Newport to the shore in LC.

If you don't want to drive that far, see Jamestown across the water. Almost as nice as LC. Almost!

If you can't resist the cape I would just suggest you avoid Hyannis. That's where the worst of the traffic is. Also do not travel there on a weekend. That is when all the summer rentals turn over, so EVERYONE is on the road.

cape cod
4. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

As lauryc suggests,, weekend traffic is hectic,, all over New England, unfortunately. Enjoy your visit, whatever you end up doing,, Cape beaches are beautiful,, and so are Rhode Island's beaches! :)

Newcastle upon...
5. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Thanks to all for your advice, still undecided as it looks like out planned itinerary would have us drive over to the Cape on Friday and leaving on Saturday......which doesn't sound like a good idea

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
6. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Oh, no, I would definitely not bother. You won't see anything except a big line of cars in front of you. Behind you. Beside you.... Did you have anything specific that you really wanted to see?

Boston...
reviews: 125
7. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

You can't do the cape justice in a day. I wouldn't bother.

Newcastle upon...
8. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Lauryc & bmoruzzi, thanks for your input. We have actually decided stay 1 night on the Cape rather than visit for the day. Plan is to get away from Newport early spend the day having a day 'doing' as much as we can but aware of the limitations, but we hope to just to see some of the villages. We'll probably do a bit the next day before setting off back to Boston late afternoon. Coming from the UK i guess it just a case of wanting to see Cape Cod and say we've been there

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
9. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Well I certainly hope everything works out for you! I didn't even ask if your trip was in summer or not. It makes a big difference if your visit is in September or later. Have a great trip!

Newcastle upon...
10. Re: Cape Cod in a day from Newport

Lauryc, we're there early September (6th) have booked 1 night in Sandwich, will give us a taster for what will hopefully be the 1st of many trips back to the area, New England as a whole not just the Cape.

Thanks for your help and advice.......might come back to you for Newport advice, we have 1 full day and want to do 'everything' :-)

Once again, thanks