We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England in 9 days

Los Angeles...
New England in 9 days

traveling to New England area for first time. Itinerary: Boston 3/22-3/27, then driving with rental car to Providence and one night in Newport RI, next day driving to New Haven CT for a 2 night stay, and lastly driving for 2 night stay in NYC.

I have Boston and NYC figured out, but can someone help me with planning the RI and CT part? What are must see/do's in those 2 states? Are there places I should definitely stop by on the way there?Once I arrive in each state, what areas/sights should I visit. There is so much info on the web that im thoroughly confused now.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: New England in 9 days

Personally I would add a day in Newport, two days is a minimum. The Newport must sees are on the gonewport.com website, mansions, Cliff Walk, harbor entertainment & site seeing, beaches maybe. Brown and RISD college and historic areas in Providence are nicer than New Haven, and either city can be done in a day or less, unless of course you are visiting friends. Five days in Boston seems much compared to just two in the Big Apple, especially given the transportation logistics getting in and out of nyc.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: New England in 9 days

Thnx for ur feedback...would u better suggest 4 nights Boston, 2 nights providence/Newport, 1 night new haven and 3 nights NYC?

In Connecticut, is there better place to stay for first time visitor than new haven? My friend suggested mystic but I thought maybe at that time would be too cold and dreary?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
3. Re: New England in 9 days

I would swap out Mystic for New Haven any day! New Haven is a gritty city. Sure, it has Yale, but that's pretty much it.

By late March we are seeing more warm and sunny days. It MIGHT be cold and dreary, but I wouldn't bet on it. Even if it was, Mystic is a beautiful, small New England town. If it's a rainy day you can tour Mystic by car, then head to Essex to tour the Connecticut River Valley via same. Then head to NYC... you're only a couple of hours away. NYC of course has SO much to do you couldn't do it all in a month. Indoors OR out.

I agree that you ought to shave some off Boston. Boston can keep me amused for a couple of days, tops. Providence is pretty much just locals and college kids that time of year. I would give it a day. Based in Newport, if you ever got bored with the city itself (not likely), you could take day trips to Little Compton (Sakonnet Vineyards and Sakonnet Point are good destinations for some gorgeous scenery along the way), or Narragansett (Ocean Ave is your destination here, and don't miss Galilee, a working fishing port) or Jamestown (what Newport would be if it were not tourist central). Newport of so vistor-friendly, compared to Boston. Try to stay within walking distance of Thames St. and there is SO much to do! It's very affordable when you will be in town.

Newport for at least 2 days, then give NYC at LEAST 2 days.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
4. Re: New England in 9 days

I think yes 4 nights Boston three nights NYC is better. Even if you stayed two nights in NYC, with three full days that would be good. Mystic has more charm than New Haven, that's for sure- but if you 'are' interested in seeing the Yale area give it an hour or two. There are also some top-notch, free art museums in New Haven if interested. In addition to cities, the nicest part of New England is the Colonial villages, like Mystic and Stonington Village, or Wickford Harbor in RI, to mention a few. Driving around the CT River valley would give you a feel. Newport is a bit bigger. In late March, the leaves will not be out yet, but the spring flowers and some trees should be starting to bloom.

Los Angeles...
5. Re: New England in 9 days

Thank u all for the great, detailed feedback!

6. Re: New England in 9 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 09, 2014