We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

Which Rhode Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 6
Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

Flying into Providence, driving to Portland. Mom and grad student daughter's first car trip to area. Portland will be our base. Any suggested itineraries on the way to Portland? No hikes/mountains. Thanks.

Westerly, Rhode...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

I assume you'll be driving 95N from Providence to Portland. Providence has great restaurants and a wonderful art museum at the RI School of Design. You'll be passing through Boston, so there's Quincy Market for shopping/eating and many historical sites near it. Try to time your passing through Boston away from rush hours, as the traffic's bad. Portsmouth, NH has a quaint downtown area with many shops and there's Strawberry Banke for the historical perspective. You can stop in Kittery, ME for outlet shopping. If you go past Portland, there's Freeport, ME for the big LL Bean store.

Birmingham, Alabama
2. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

This sounds just like us --- thanks.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
3. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

I would recommend getting off 95 in Kittery and driving north along Rt 9 and any other coastal roads that strike your fancy as far as you like. It's very pretty with lots of shops and restaurants along the way.

Birmingham, Alabama
4. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

Thanks for the suggestion.

Boston
5. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

95 takes you around Boston and not thru it. If you plan on visiting Boston, you will want to take 93, which splits from 95 in Canton. When leaving Boston you will want to take route one over the Tobin Bridge and this rejoins 95.

Westerly, Rhode...
reviews: 26
6. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

Liberty, of course you're right. Just wanted the OPer to be aware of traffic issues in the Boston area at rush hour on all highways.

Moosup, Connecticut
reviews: 95
7. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

RT1 between Kttery and Freeport has limited scenery and stop/go traffic. If you do travel this route be sure to stop at Stonewall Kitchens in York. Then easy access back to Maine Tpk north and Portland. Old Port is a delight and you should definately visit the Victorian Mansion. check out Free Travel Guides - Maine Office of Tourism@

www.visitmaine.com/guidebook/ for more information. Boston is a very difficult city get around..avoid peak cummuter hours!!! Mass drivers are notoriously aggressive!! I would recommend the DuckTour (see their web site for more info)as a way to see the hightlights easily. Incidentally there is a "downeaster Amtrak" that travels Boston-Portland Maine several times a day

Birmingham, Alabama
8. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

Thanks. Will no doubt avoid Boston. Deciding between spending the first evening in Newport/Providence/Cape Cod. Flying into Providence due to much cheaper rental car prices.

Moosup, Connecticut
reviews: 95
9. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

When you fly into Providence, you are actually landing in Warwick RI. There are many motels w/ shuttle service from airport. if you are arriving late in day. Renting a car, heading north (easy access to RT 95 from airport),. anytime after 3pm for north bound traffic will be very busy. It could take 3 1/2 to 4hours to reach Portsmouth NH . Manchester NH airport might be a better option for when visiting that area of New England. Would take much less time to reach Portland Maine from there.

Just travel on NH RT 4 east to pick up RT 95 north.

Birmingham, Alabama
10. Re: Providence, RI to Portland ME, mid-August, 1 week

If we decide to drive north upon arrival, any suggestions on where to spend the night between Warwick and Portland? Considering Stoughton/salem/Ogunquit. Thanks.