We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visit to Amish County

Aliso Viejo...
reviews: 48
A visit to Amish County

Hi,

My husband and I and another couple are planning a visit to Amish County next weekend.

We're happy to stay in budget accommodation and would ideally like to stay somewhere that has a number of walkable options for dinner in the evening although we don't mind driving a bit to see attractions during the days. We are planning to arrive late on the Friday night and leave on Sunday around lunch time - any suggestions, hints and tips about where we should stay (I am thinking Lancaster or maybe Hershey, but York has come up a few times while I have been serching for hotels too) and what we should do.

Thanks!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
1. Re: A visit to Amish County

If you are mainly interested in touring the Amish country, I would stay in Lancaster. Rt. 30 has many chain restaurants (Texas Roadhouse, Cracker Barrel at Rockvale Outlets, etc.) and Lapp's, a good local place, and many chain motels, but I don't consider it "walkable." It's a pretty busy road. You might want to consider some of the good restaurants that have hotels attached to them, such as Hershey Farm, Willow Valley, or Bird In Hand. This way, you could return to your hotel after a busy day of touring and relax. I have stayed at Willow Valley and really enjoyed it. They have a nice pool area.

These places are not inexpensive on weekends, but depending on your budget, it might work for you.

If you go to Hershey, it will only be about a 30-45 minute drive from Lancaster.

Have a great trip!

2. Re: A visit to Amish County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 31, 2009