My wife, 8-year-old daughter and I are planning on taking a 5-6 day driving trip to Eastern Oregon in late June. Although from the Portland area, we have never gone through that part of the state except on I-84 on the way to Boise.
1) What are recommendations for hotels/motels in the Wallowa/Enterprise/Joseph area? How about Baker City? We looked at the internet and the Condon Hotel looked cute. Has anyone stayed there? What about hotels in Fossil, Antelope, or Shaniko?
2) What ghost towns would you recommend? Also, I have heard there are areas that you can pan for gold, but I don't know where. Does anyone know?
3) Once we hit the Wallowas, we can either head back towards Portland on the Oregon side or head up to Lewiston/Clarkston and Pullman/Moscow. Is there anything worth seeing in those towns or should we just stay in Oregon?
4) What activities can anyone recommend for our daughter? We know about the tram in Joseph and that you can dig for fossils in Fossil. Any other things that can't be missed?
5) Any other suggestions on short hikes, good and bad roads, scenic drives, restaurants, etc. is appreciated.