We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Journals

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
Travel Journals

My wife is not a diary keeper type, but several years ago she started writing journals of our trips, every day. Partly for somethng to do When in France and only English TV is CNN what else do you do., or driving from Atlanta to Charleston, etc.

They are great memories plus help me on these boards. How long we were in Nikko or Kyoto, or Venice.? memory slips away writing does not. They are all still hand written.

Encourage any of you younger folk to do same. You will be glad you did.

t

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
11. Re: Travel Journals

mistletoe--I draw much better than I photograph, so thankfully DD will be along with her camera. Does that mean I am relegated to the kids journal this time?!

One drawing that sticks in my mind...in Rome we were having dinner outside one evening. Of course a pigeon (aka rats with wings...ick) decided he wanted part of DS meal. So DH sort of waved it off with his knife. Wouldn't you know it, DS drew a picture of that in his journal and the knife was huge in the drawing and looked not quite as innocent as the actual experience, lol!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
12. Re: Travel Journals

My mother's family is originally from McKinnleyville (sp?) CA. Her father was #4 of 8 children (6 boys and 2 girls). In 1975, his oldest brother Jim began writing his rememberance of life growing up in northern CA and their "BIG MOVE" to a ranch on the south fork of the Nehalem River in the spring of 1916. He talks of putting the family on the train in Redding while he and his father placed all their belongings on a horse-drawn wagon and headed north. He talks of following the railroad tracks most of the way to Eugene. He speaks fondly of crossing the Willammette River by ferry and heading across the coast range, all along telling every detail he could remember.

My mother gave me a copy of this journal about 10 years ago. As I read it, I thought of how hard it must have been for uncle Jim to remember all these details from 60 years earlier and before, and how much he had forgotten. It was at that time I decided to begin keeping a journal. While not very exciting, my hope is that my children and their children will enjoy reading about my life after I'm gone as much as I do reading of my family's.

~Den~

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
13. Re: Travel Journals

Den--We have been to McKinnleyville, lol! I love journals like that. My dad has a couple from way back in our family. I think you are right, that what we think might be boring, will be very interesting to later generations.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
14. Re: Travel Journals

Hmmm Its great to hear so many keep journals. I had just answered a query on Japan board where i had to go back and read what we did at Nikko.so decided to make post here .

And I probably picked wrong place to cite about TV and what else do you do. In Paris we had no trouble finding things to do in evening

15. Re: Travel Journals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 23, 2009