We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

North Vancouver...
reviews: 30
best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Greetings! Looking at a road trip in early August and would love some ideas on where the best surfing areas would be on the Oregon Coast. Also, a great bed and breakfast in the area would also be fabulous. My partner is an experienced surfer. Would love for a quaint BB, parking, supermarket nearby would be a plus, we have no pets and no children with us. Thanks so much!

Portland, Oregon
1. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Indian Beach in Ecola State Park north of Cannon Beach, and Short Sands Beach in Oswald West State Park have always had surfers whenever I've visited them. The water's too cold here for me to be a surfer though, so I don't have a clue if they're the best around. Cannon Beach would be a good place to look for lodging, and this place might work for you: oregoncoastlodgings.com/cannon_beach_hotels/…

Another option would be Arch Cape House, close to half way between Indian Beach and Short Sands: http://www.st-bernards.com/. We stayed here a few years ago, and it's a great place. The downside is that unless you want to pay the outrageous prices at the small market across the street, you will have to travel the six miles to Cannon Beach for most of your shopping.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 17
2. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Here is a list from another local -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2374-Cannon_Be…

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 15
3. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Short Sands if for beginner to intermediate surfers. "The Point", on the north side of Tillamook Head is for more advanced board heads. To find "The Point", take Avenue "U" off of Hwy 101 in south Seaside towards the beach and turn south (left).

Den

reviews: 767
4. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Hi plang! We have been on a surf trip here in Seaside the past week. I would recommend Ave. U or the Cove in Seaside. There is a quaint B&B on the prom called the Inn at Seaside that I like. They also serve breakfast here to the public from 8-10 each am.

Shorty's (Short Sands) is also a great place to catch a wave. We like it here b/c it is sheltered from the wind, in a cove. About a 10 minute walk back to the place, very nice scenery.

Cleanline has surf shops in both CB and Seaside. You can rent or purchse wetsuits, etc here or sign up for a surf lesson. My husband is loving his new board we got him for Father's Day. (A bit early but he has been enjoying it very much.)

Any other surf questions, let me know. My husband and daughter have been out about 3 times a day this trip and they are getting quite good! Catch a wave! :)

North Vancouver...
5. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Thank you all so much! I have printed all your ideas and am planning to incorporate them into a road trip for us. Keep those ideas coming! Can't wait to hear about more people who are traveling through.

North Vancouver...
6. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Morning syrahgirl, do you mean the Seaside Inn? I'll check it out out for availability if that's the one you are referring to. Thanks!!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
7. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Hi plang,

Here is the website for the Seaside Inn

http://www.theseasideinn.com/

Be glad you are not out there this weekend , brrrrr...wet and chilly. Nobody is surfing this week LOL

Good luck on your research, have you looked at the Insider pages and GoLists that TripAdvisor provides?

There is some more information there in case you missed them.

August is great in Oregon, we moved to Portland last Aug and had nothing but dry warm days, hope it is the same this year and out on the Coast too :)

reviews: 767
8. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Just a bit cloudy, no rain and GORGEOUS right now! Everyone is out razor clamming. We have been enjoying them daily for lunch! plang, the Seaside Inn is charming. The clock tower suite looks cool, with a round bed. I will take some photos today on my twice/daily ride on the prom. I love the little garden area in the front that is very cutely decorated. They do not show this on their website. I saw that the property is actually for sale right now.

I have found a true gem in Seaside this trip, will post more about it next week. Off to walk the beach, yesterday we all got sunburned, There is a little market on Ave. U, not too far from the Seaside Inn where you could purchase things you need. Bigfoot Pub and Grub is also close, a place we like to go for dinner. Amazing bruschetta here and my husband loves their Prime Rib and steaks. Cheers! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
9. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

How odd, our weatherman here in Portland says it is only 57 in Seaside and raining.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
10. Re: best surfing spots on Oregon Coast?

Scarlett--I saw that too, lol!

plang--You might want to check any reviews of the hotel here at TA under the review section. That way you can read reviews from people that have actually stayed at the hotel vs people who drive/ride by. You might want to ask syrahgirl if she has actually stayed there or not.