We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reality check on a road trip itinerary with kids (4 yrs old)

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
Reality check on a road trip itinerary with kids (4 yrs old)

We are planning a family road trip from San Francisco to Oregon in July for 6 days, driving north on I-5 inland via Crater Lake to Portland, and driving back south on the Oregon coast, then Ashland and I-5 to San Francisco

Here is our preliminary itinerary:

Day 1: San Francisco - Klamath Falls (overnight)

Day 2: Crater Lake - Bend or Eugene? (overnight)

Day 3: Portland - We have been to Portland many times so plan only for 1 night there.

Day 4: Astoria - Seaside - Tillamook - Newport (overnight)

Day 5: Newport - Florence - Ashland (overnight)

Day 6: Ashland - San Francisco

Do you have any recommendations on places to skip or include? Is it worth driving and staying in Bend on our way to Portland or skip Bend and go back to I-5 after Crater Lake? Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
1. Re: Reality check on a road trip itinerary with kids (4 yrs old)

Hi, my first thought is to wonder why you're going to Portland at all, since you've been many times?

It's an awful lot of driving for 6 days. You'll all be spending hours sitting in the car.

Have you checked the driving hours' difference between Newport -> SF on 101 and Newport -> SF via Ashland? There may not be a lot of difference.

2. Re: Reality check on a road trip itinerary with kids (4 yrs old)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 18, 2014