We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon berry picking

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 45
Oregon berry picking

We are planning to visit Oregon in mid/late June. My son (12) really wants to go berry picking - not on a u-pick farm - but out in nature. Are there any areas where this is possible?

Thanks.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
1. Re: Oregon berry picking

Blackberries are the most available for picking just about anywhere in the Willamette Valley, but they don't ripen until August. Blueberries are available in mid/late June, but they're mostly on upick farms or private back yards. Huckleberries are pickable in the mountains, but their locations are harder to predict from year to year...and most of the mountains will still have snow on them in mid June.

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: Oregon berry picking

Adding to oregonpoppa's comments..... For those of us who grew up around here, June was always strawberry picking season. And I suspect that not too many of us have fond memories of that. But, they sure are good!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
3. Re: Oregon berry picking

Whereabouts are you going to be in Oregon? Some areas have red huckleberries and you may also find some thimbleberries. However, you'll need to get off the main roads.

…suite101.com/article.cfm/northwest_edible_w…

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
4. Re: Oregon berry picking

Fond memories of Strawberry picking. you got it right Mistletoe, a chore

However if the youngster wants to pick berries, u-pick strawberries may have to be choice in June.

We camp in huckleberry country in early Aug at 3000' and they are almost never ready yet.

Oregon
reviews: 53
5. Re: Oregon berry picking

Blackberries are rampant during August through September. Most Strawberries are u-pick at the local farms.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
6. Re: Oregon berry picking

Woo, be careful picking berries. Make sure you know what you are picking. Some berries are poisonous, General rule. White berries never. red berries some good some bad, blue berries probably ok but not all taste good.

Salmonberries are orange and though small quite tasty. I can't remember for sure when they come ripe. but as half Brit says may be June. So worht gett familair with what they are cause they grow in odd places

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
7. Re: Oregon berry picking

Agree that the wild berrys wont be ready until later late august/early september(huckleberries, blackberries,etc). Salmon berries may be ripe late june, but they arent anything to write home about-as far as taste-in my opinion. Just make sure you know what you are picking-

U-pick farms may be your best bet for berry picking at that time of year

most of the farms are pretty picturesque if that is important we may be able to pick a few that may interest you..

Oregon
reviews: 6
8. Re: Oregon berry picking

Ugh! I remember going strawberry picking to earn some money one summer, I have not been as fond of the things since.

Agree with everyone else, most of the berries won't be ready until later in the summer. We went huckleberry picking last year, and it seems it was right around Labor Day when they were hitting the peak.

Unfortunately, strawberries are about the only thing you are going to find "ready" that time of year, though there may be some raspberries by then, but alas, they don't grow wild. If you do decide to go the u-pick route, I would suggest making a trip out to Sauvie Island to do so. That is about as close to the wild as you are going to get.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
9. Re: Oregon berry picking

LOL, I remember taking the "berry bus" to go pick strawberries when I was growing up. Not a fun way to make money, but for kids it worked.

If you can find a place that has the Hoodie variety of strawberries, those have the best taste, IMO.

Oregon
reviews: 6
10. Re: Oregon berry picking

Ah yes, the berry bus. Unfortunately for me, my grandmother lived in Sandy. I walked about 2 miles to the berry field every day at 5 am, and then back to her house in the afternoon! I think I lasted a week! LOL!

Also wanted to echo an earlier poster, if you do venture out to pick berries, make sure you are sure what you are picking. Definitely inquire at a ranger station first and have what's what explained to you.