We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

San Francisco...
reviews: 32
Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

We will be driving from Crater Lake NP to Mt Rainer in late Sept. It looks to be a long drive via 97, we like the scenic route. Any recommendations about stopping over at Hood River or The Dalles? or other suggestions for a one night stop?

Suggestions for a motel/inn or restaurants would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bend, OR
reviews: 4
1. Re: Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

I, as always would say pay a visit to Bend along the way. It is a great place to stay over after a day at CLNP. I don't really reccomend you stay at the lodge at the park as you can get a very good taste of the place by spending the better part of the day there. Bend is about 2 hours north of there. You might also check out Timberline lodge up on Mt Hood on your way up. I hear Hood river is a nice place to stay theese days as well, but haven't been but to fill up for gas 10 years agao : )

In Bend I recomend the Phoenix Inn downtown or the Ameritel Inn ( a little more pricey) or one of the many great B & B's or private home rentals here. I really think you would appreciate a trip up the cascade lakes hwy from Bend for a nice day trip and to walk amungst the aspen along the Deschutes river trail. 2 nights is best if you can make it happen. Another great option that seems to be very popular with Californians (including my sister : ) ) is Sunriver, and it is a little closer to CLNP, but only about 20-30 min from Bend and has great bikking trails.

San Francisco...
2. Re: Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

Thanks for your reply. I think we want to get farther north than Bend when we leave CLNP. It looks like Bend is still about 7 hours from Mt Rainer. Maybe we can stop in Bend for a meal. I'll check the Timberline Lodge out, although route 26 looks like it could be pretty mountainous driving. Of course that's always the beautiful route, heh.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
3. Re: Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

Actually, HWY 26 is a very easy drive. Better than most mountain highways. Timberline Lodge is a great idea, but if you want another one then as you go past Timberline through Government Camp, stop at the Huckleberry Inn. Not fancy by a long shot, but very well known by climbers/hikers/snowboarders. Yes, 7 hours is about right as far as driving time.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

Mtngirl, thanks for the driving opinion. Looks like we'll probably try rt 26. Will there be chance of snow at first of October?

The little info I found on Huckleberry Inn says it has great berry shakes and dorm rooms cheap. Does it have regular rooms? Have you stayed there?

Thanks to those who stop to give me advice.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
5. Re: Stopover from Crater Lake to Mt Rainer

I have not stayed there, just eaten there, lol! I think it is more of the dorm room style, but I do not know for sure. You may want to call them. Yes, their shakes are wonderful! They use real hard-pack ice cream and make them to order. The huckleberry shakes are amazing!!! We always stop there after hiking or snowshoeing.

The chance of snow in early October is pretty much nil, but I learned a long time ago to never say never. Last year on Halloween, we went sledding up in that area. We always carry chains with us though from October onward, just to be safe.