We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do-able in 5 days

michigan
Do-able in 5 days

We will be in Oregon for 5 days, Im wondering what are the must see's. We are going to a sandcastle building contest on the coast our first day there and wanted to head south from Lincoln city. I would like to see waterfalls, covered bridges. Of course the coast, hopefully seeing dolphins and whales and sea lions. Is Mt St Helens in Washington a must see? Any other ideas of things I really need to see while in Oregon. It is probably my once in a lifetime trip. We are coming from Michigan.

Thank You.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: Do-able in 5 days

You could go south from Lincoln City to Florence. Along the way is Newport and the Oregon Coast Aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science Center, Cape Perpetua with arguably the best tide pools on the coast, Heceta Head Lighthouse, Sea Lion Caves and finaly, just south of Florence, the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. IMHO, this is the nicest stretch of coastline.

From Florence, take hwy 126 toward Eugene. Lane County (Florence/Eugene) has many covered bridges, most, however are off of the beaten path. From Eugene, head north to Salem then East to Silver Falls State Park for beautiful waterfalls and moderate hikes.

reviews: 740
2. Re: Do-able in 5 days

Hi, the sandcastle building contests are fun, we were just at the one at Cannon Beach this past Sat. Are you set on the southern coast? I'm partial to the northern Oregon Coast where you have Manzanita, Cannon Beach, Seaside, Astoria. Don't miss the Sea Lion Caves in Florence, they're great fun. You may want to consider a stop in Newport to see the Oregon Coast Aquarium, it's very nicely done and a lot of fun there. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
3. Re: Do-able in 5 days

How much time do you want to spend in the car? Because, if it's a once in a lifetime trip, you really should include a drive-by visit of Crater Lake, and maybe even some giant redwoods in northern CA. I'd pick either or both of those before St. Helens. But, as always, Den has outlined a great itinerary for you. You don't say that you're spending any time in Portland, but if you do, you'd enjoy a couple hours in the Columbia River Gorge, 30 minutes east of the city; more waterfalls, and some pretty spectacular scenery.

syrahgirl, you should probably clarify that the reason you prefer the north coast is that you've never given yourself any time to enjoy the central or south coast.

michigan
4. Re: Do-able in 5 days

Thank You for all the ideas..we are up for anything...Oregon!

So there really isnt much to see at Mt St Helens?

I would like to take a drive to the Roloff farm in hillsboro too while in Oregon.

Eugene is where we will stay most the time and going from there to places.

Yes Im excited about the sandcastle building. Of course the coast and other scenery. Have been to the Atlantic coast many times. We have sand dunes we go to every year here in Michigan, its alot of fun.

I had a friend that lives in Washington say she would like to meet me in Portland so yes we may go there also.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
5. Re: Do-able in 5 days

Mt. St. Helens is fantastic, but so are Crater Lake and the Redwoods. Crater Lake has that "wow" factor for everyone, so if this is a once in a lifetime trip, that is a must.

Now, the Roloff farm...I would not bother. I have not been there, but our son has. Take the time you would have used on that and go to Mt. St. Helens.

Hillsboro, Oregon
reviews: 142
6. Re: Do-able in 5 days

Roloff farm in Hillsboro- the town I live in is not horribly far from St. Helens. ( if the farm stand is not open they have a no trespassing sign up. probably they are bugged to death.) IMHO it is worth the trip. My first time up there I was derading it and thought it would be reallt boring. It was amazing! I second the opinion on Crater Lake. You could travel down the coast and then cut over at the southern end of Oregon and see: There are big Redwoods in Oregon- or go into Cali- then drive inland to the Oregon Caves. From there it is not a bad drive to Crater Lake. North from Crater Lake through Central Oregon- high Desert and back west to the PDX Hillsboro area. It would be a big drive but the scenery is breath taking!

oregon city
reviews: 4
7. Re: Do-able in 5 days

St. Helens worth it if you can squeeze it in...

Oregon
reviews: 1
8. Re: Do-able in 5 days

My 2 cents:

Don't bother with the Southern Oregon Coast & the Redwoods. I would argue it's the nicest in the state, but you really don't have enough time to enjoy it. If you want to see Crater Lake, take a day trip from Eugene (that's your base, right?) You'll have plenty of time to see things along the way and enjoy the park when you get there.

I would also add a vote for Silver Falls State Park. Ever walk behind a 100ft + waterfall? Here's your chance.

Rich

michigan
9. Re: Do-able in 5 days

Thank you for all the information. You have gave me something to think about. Im thinking going to that Crater Lk from Eugene and also checking out Mt St helens. Where abouts is that Silver Falls State Park? I think we will travel south when leaving Oregon and cross Northern California to see the redwoods on our way to Nevada. Of course we will see lots of the coast while there.

michigan
10. Re: Do-able in 5 days

I know I was disappointed that it isnt October when the Roloff Farm is open. It would of been fun getting a pumpkin from there.