We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for Float Trips

kansas city
reviews: 10
Best Place for Float Trips

Hi, we're looking to go on a float trip and we also would like to stay in a cabin - on the Illinois River. I have been reading that is a good river for novice - and a 9 yr old. We have been looking at War Eagle Resort (even though not on the river) and Arrowhead-Thunderbird Resort (which is on the river). Has anyone been to either of these places or can recommend something else? Prefer northeastern part of Oklahoma. Thanks!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
reviews: 58
1. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

I'm not sure how long these float trip remain open for the season. And with the drought, I'd call them directly and ask.

kansas city
reviews: 10
2. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

Yes, I was planning on doing that after we decided on a place to go. And if it's too late this year, we definitely are going next year. Have you been to any good places?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
3. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

Just outside of Grove, sycamore creek is fun. Also the Illinois river near tahlequah is very popular.

Jenks, Oklahoma
reviews: 40
4. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

We did War Eagle in late July. Water was very low - some places we had to get out and pull the kayaks and the raft. Haven't used Arrowhead so don't know anything about them, but there were a lot of their rafts/canoes on the water. Seems more people do rafts than anything from War Eagle (who is up the river some from Arrowhead) and it makes the river very congested at the start. But their equipment is in good shape (we had 1 raft and 4 kayaks).

I would say more than likely it is too late this season - to really have fun. Their websites don't say, but I would be they are only open on weekends since school has started, and I would think they would stop shortly after labor day.

tulsa
5. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

Haven't been there before, I'm going in Sep. Here is a link that gives you the water levels

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/abrfc/recfcst/

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
6. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

Thanks, War M. My first impulse was to steer the OP away from trying a float trip this time of year, but this helps make it more scientific:)

7. Re: Best Place for Float Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 20, 2013