We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natchez Trace Parkway

Philadelphia...
Natchez Trace Parkway

My husband and I are planning a road trip this summer, part of which will go through Mississippi on the Natchez Trace Parkway. We plan to pick up the parkway near Nashville and follow it to Natchez, MS.

My question is this: is there any part of the Parkway that is more beautiful/recommended than other parts? We are thinking of sticking to highways and only traveling part of the way on the Parkway, in order to save time.

Thanks for your help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
1. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

Have not driven the entire route only the area north and south of Tupelo and it was pretty rural countryside.

Monroe, Louisiana
reviews: 121
2. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

Have driven from Jackson to Natchez. Nice drive. But beware. It is a park and they are very serious about speeding. Also, I don't remember many commercial establishments on it so you will have to exit for gas/food

Forest, Ms
reviews: 29
3. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

I've driven Tupelo to Ridgeland in one trip and then Jackson (Clinton) to Natchez in another trip. If your destination is Natchez, then the Trace is probably the most direct route, even though the speed limit is lower and enforced.

Connecticut, USA
reviews: 51
4. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

I'm thinking about a similar trip. Is there a National Park visitor center? If I wanted to fly in and out of Nashville, is there a reasonable "loop" I can make in a one week trip? ( Don't want to drive the Parkway twice.) What's a good itinerary -- a couple of days in Nashville, a couple along the Parkway, a couple in Natchrez (Jackson? Tupelo?) and then an interstate run bake to Nashville? Thanks.

Jackson, Mississippi
reviews: 114
5. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

I have driven the entire length of the parkway. It is all beautiful, however, much of the beauty is the same and thus becomes to tiring, particularly at 50 mph. The best parts to me are as the parkway crosses the Tenn. River, and as you approach the Jackson, MS area where it borders the Ross Barnett Reservoir. Ridgeland, MS would be a nice overnight stop (about where the Parkway crosses I-55). There is a crafts center off the parkway near Ridgeland.

Connecticut, USA
6. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

This is helpful. Thanks for your reply.

Ever done a side trip to Shiloh? I like history in general but am not necessarily a Civil War buff.

I'm thinking of traveling in early October. What kind of weather can I expect? I live in CT and it's already getting a bit cold here (50 - 60's).

Thanks again. Evelyn

Jackson, Mississippi
reviews: 114
7. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

I have been to Shiloh. It is a large Civil War park and well done, as is Vicksburg. I'm not a Civil War buff either, however I live on a battlefield (Raymond) and have recently gained more interest. My ancestry comes from both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line so its nice to be able to identify with both. October is the best month in the south. It is usually mild, clear, and a nice time to be outdoors.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
8. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

Instead of Shiloh I would recommend Vicksburg. It has lots of hotels, downtown area and good food. There is just not a lot around Shiloh.

Here is a route that you could do or something similar-

Nashville to Jackson on Natchez Trace

Vicksburg

up interstate 55 to Memphis and then interstate 40 back to Nashville

http://goo.gl/maps/3zWSW

Flowood, MS
reviews: 129
9. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

I live just outside Jackson and I have driven the Trace, but not all in one trip. In my opinion the view just outside of Nashville, where you can see the large farms and rolling hills in with those semi-mountainous areas, is just beautiful. Very relaxing. I agree with the poster about the TN river, that was also nice. After that, it all begins looking the same and it takes FOREVER with the speed limit being monitored so closely. There are places on the trace that you can exit and get on a regular highway. Tupelo is probably a good location and exit, taking Highway 45 South (at some point it becomes 45 Alternate). Go through Starkville and buy some of their famous ice cream and cheese made at Mississippi State University. You'll enjoy that, especially if its hot out. In Starkville, hop on Highway 80 and it will bring you in to Jackson, where you can get back on the Trace and take in on through to Natchez. The city of Natchez is such a quaint Southern experience, you'll want to allow for several days there. Be sure to stay in one of the plantation homes or B&B's if at all possible. Someone mentioned coming in October. The weather in October can be tricky in MS and I would recommend layered clothing. I have gone to football games in October where I was sunburned afterwards, as if it were August. Other times, it gets rather chilly, so I'd pack t-shirts with sweaters or jackets, just in case.

Connecticut, USA
10. Re: Natchez Trace Parkway

Thanks you all for your responses and suggestions. I'm still working on our itinerary, but it sounds certain the best plan is a combination of cities/trace/interstates. We'll definitely start out from Nashville so it's good to hear some of the loveliest countryside is at that end of the parkway.

Mostly I'm wishing we had lots more time to do justice to this interesting part of the country! Thanks again -- Evelyn