We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hiking places this summer

kentucky
reviews: 8
Best hiking places this summer

Hi,

Going to be picking our son up from a music camp in Minneapolis in July. We are going to be traveling back to Lexington ky. This will be our summer vacation week. We love the wilderness and to hike. Any suggestions on where we should go. We could spend a few days after we pick him up in the area. Also any great places to stop by on our way home. Thanks so much.

10 replies to this topic
Saint Paul...
1. Re: Best hiking places this summer

For hiking, my first thought is parts of the Superior HIking Trail and/or some of the state parks along the North Shore of Lake Superior. For canoeing, hiking and wildnerness, an outfitter in Ely, MN, or up along the Gunflint Trail can set you up for all that in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. If you have the time, Isle Royale NP in Lake Superior could be interesting to someone who wants wilderness and hiking. However, all those take you further away from Kentucky.

There is also the Ice Age Scenic Trail in Wisconsin (eventually > 1000 miles long) and is more on your route back. Can't give you much advice on where to hike the trail as I've only hiked the section around Devils Lake State Park.

Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 128
2. Re: Best hiking places this summer

If you leave Minneapolis, and head down Hwy 61, cross the Mississippi in Winona on Hwy 43. Then make your way down to Perrot State Park on the Wisconsin side of the river in Trempeleau, WI. I can't remember the name of the highway to get there, so you'll have to look it up. There's a hike up to the top of a bluff which will reward you with a beautiful view of the Mississippi valley.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
3. Re: Best hiking places this summer

If by wilderness you mean heavy forest, the northern third of the state is where you want to be. But I can't be sure you are looking to drive the 3-4 hours to get there.

Superior Hiking Trail and its offshoots are the best bet. Hit some of the scenic overlooks and the attractions like the beautiful waterfalls that have cut through the rock to form gorges on their way down to Lake Superior over the years. Cascade River, for example.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Best hiking places this summer

It depends on where you are in the state, but I can recommend MN state parks. Check out the DNR site: www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html for information on specific parks. There are lots of hiking options for all levels of ability. I've hiked in almost all of them. I have only 19 left to do this summer. Have fun!

Stillwater...
5. Re: Best hiking places this summer

Sorry, tried to post a reply the other day, but TA was down for maint.

If you could give us some specifics on your itinerary, (total amount of time you will stay in MN), type of hiking you are looking for, (day trips, overnight, level of difficulty), that would help us narrow things down for you.

The northern part of our state has the most opportunities, but this maybe too far, or "out of the way" for your return home. The southern part of MN has some very nice trails, and would be conducive for your journey home, but would lack the wilderness aspect.

kentucky
6. Re: Best hiking places this summer

Thanks so much everyone for your help. We are looking for day hikes in scenic areas probably 5 miles or less. It would be best if it were in the direction of our way home but we may have about 4 days to hang around. Just don't want to increase our drive home too much.

Minnesota
reviews: 33
7. Re: Best hiking places this summer

As great as the hiking on Minnesota's north shore is, it isn't the direction that you'll be going. I'd recommend going south. We love the state parks of Minnesota and almost every one of them have some hiking. Whitewater State Park is not too far out of your way and they have some wonderful hikes. You can find more information on each of the state parks here: www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
8. Re: Best hiking places this summer

I mentioned northern MN just because it's my preference, to be immersed in the heavy forest. But southern MN does make more sense logistically -- as MNlove2travel pointed out.

One of my favorite drives is Hwy 61 through Red Wing on your way south. I would head out of the state in that direction and see some sights that way. What that part of the state lacks in heavy forest and river/lake scenes, it makes up for with beautiful prairie and bluffs along the Mississippi.

Take a look at Frontenac State Park -- particularly if you have interests in bird watching. You're guaranteed to see countless bald eagles for one. But rarer wildlife has been on display when I have been there. Pretty serene place. Nice variety of trails./

kentucky
9. Re: Best hiking places this summer

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will check out the State parks. I always enjoy them here in Ky.

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 7
10. Re: Best hiking places this summer

The Mystery Cave is near Forestville State Park and is very cool to tour. This is in southern MN not too far from Whitewater. Forestville also an old historic village you can tour.

Reply to: Best hiking places this summer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted