We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minnesota travel

West Nyack, New York
reviews: 6
Minnesota travel

We are thinking about taking a trip to Minnesota in the spring of 2014. We would like to see Minneapolis and some of the lakes. Any suggestions?

16 replies to this topic
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 162
11. Re: Minnesota travel

I just came back from Minnesota and found the traffic in the Twin Cities horrid. Denver has an extensive light rail system which takes a lot of pressure off the highways. Minneapolis and St. Paul was more like being on a parking lot at times rather than a highway - so plan on finding a hotel that does not require you to do much driving. The downtown Minneapolis hotels are expensive but may be worth it.

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
12. Re: Minnesota travel

We've had a brutal road construction season this year, and right now the push is on to complete projects before winter hits. That 494 and 35 work has really been a pain, and rush hour traffic is never pleasant, but I really don't think one can say that traffic in the Twin Cities is a perpetual gridlock.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
13. Re: Minnesota travel

Perhaps I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time? But it did seem that both directions were creeping along at stop and go pace in the middle of the afternoon. : ( Would have expected that at rush hour. Construction also going on the weekend - one whole stretch completely closed down so traffic was shunted off to a side road and that was bad. They don't allow construction on the weekends in CO so that was unexpected. But getting improvements done prior to the snow is good.

Vadnais Heights...
14. Re: Minnesota travel

The reason for the scheduling of construction is because many of the projects require some shut-downs of several or all of the lanes and due to the traffic flow, weekends (24/7) when there is much less traffic due to the mass exodus out of the cities for a long week-end.

Minnesota, because of the climate variations has 2 season - normal climatic and then the construction season. When several hundreds of thousand people leave for a few days every week to the thousands of lake homes, the traffic is much less.

Dick

Edited: 11:32 pm, October 16, 2013
Minneapolis
reviews: 2
15. Re: Minnesota travel

If I was going to visit for 10 days, I'd split my time between the Twin Cities and the north shore (the stretch of Lake Superior shoreline between Duluth and Canada.).

I'd highly recommend taking a bike ride or walking along the chain of lakes in south Minneapolis (you can rent bikes at various places around town.). If you are in good shape, you can take a 16 mile loop that goes through the Chain of Lakes, along the Greenway bike path, along the Mississippi river, and to Minnehaha falls. It is a great ride.

You can't go too far wrong with the north shore no matter where you go. Spend some time in Duluth and make sure to visit Gooseberry Falls. It has a couple nice waterfalls and if you are up for some activity, a fairly short hike down to the lake.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
16. Re: Minnesota travel

I did go to Gooseberry Falls and loved it. I was heading for Thunder Bay but the weather was against me. Cold, windy and rainy. So I turned back and went to WI instead where the fall colors were at their peak and had a great visit. Maybe next trip I'll make it to Canada. Thanks for the thoughts, I'm back in CO where the fall colors are now peak in my own area - my front yard is ablaze in gold right now.

Reply to: Minnesota travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted