We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minnesota travel

West Nyack, New York
reviews: 5
Minnesota travel

We are thinking about taking a trip to Minnesota in the spring of 2014. We would like to see Minneapolis and some of the lakes. Any suggestions?

16 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Minnesota travel

I think you are looking to split your trip between Minneapolis and lakes north of Minneapolis -- out a little more in nature. Is that correct? If so, how much time can you allot for your trip? Then we can suggest how to split the days.

Any other detail would help too. Like what types of things do you like to see or not like to see. Will you have a car? etc

West Nyack, New York
reviews: 5
2. Re: Minnesota travel

Thank you for such a prompt response. Yes, we will have a car. You are correct in your assumption. We love beautiful scenery but would also like to see Minneapolis. I think we would be in Minnesota for a max of 10 days. I appreciate the advice.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
3. Re: Minnesota travel

Plan on maybe one overnight in Duluth, but then at least 2 night up the North Shore (Lutsen or Grand Marais area).

In Minneapolis, you will have more evening dining, entertainment, and theater choices if you stay right downtown. You can walk everywhere.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 347
4. Re: Minnesota travel

You could also spend a couple of days in the Brainerd/Gull Lake area and then drive a little farther north to Lake Itasca. Gull Lake is great and Lake Itasca has the headwaters of the Mississippi River on its north shore and is inside an awesome state park.

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
5. Re: Minnesota travel

The southern route from the Twin Cities is also quite scenic, along the Mississippi River. One could do it in a day-trip from the Cities. One could take Hwy 61 south through Red Wing, Lake City, and then either in the Winona or LaCrosse area cross over into Wisconsin, and come back on the east side o the river. Lots of fun shops and restaurants along the way.

I did think of one consideration. I think the first weekend in May might be the 100 miles of yard/garage sales and it's extremely popular.

minneapolis
reviews: 126
6. Re: Minnesota travel

When will you be coming exactly? That could make a big difference as to where you go and what you do. Weather can be iffy all the way thru April, May is often beautiful but was not this year. And what kinds of things do you like to do? Are you active or low-key? Into the outdoors or history & culture?

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
7. Re: Minnesota travel

Outside of Minneapolis I would second Duluth, Lake Itasca and Hwy 61 along the Mississippi.

Grand Forks, North...
reviews: 52
8. Re: Minnesota travel

Above is all great advice. When in spring will you be here? Are you interested in biking, hiking, fishing or touring?

Minnesota
reviews: 32
9. Re: Minnesota travel

I'd recommend 2 nights in Minneapolis and the remainder of your time along the North shore and Itasca State park.

You could start out in Minneapolis, drive to Itasca for a couple of days and then head over to the north shore and then back down to Minneapolis. This makes a nice loop.

We love Itasca, but we also camp. The park does have lodging if you're not into camping. You could see the start of the headwaters, drive the wilderness trail and visit the museum and headwaters center.

Then head over to Duluth and the north shore. Duluth is a nice town, but the highlights of the north shore are the coast north of Duluth. There are lots of places to stay from camping to very nice resorts. You can hike, bike, check out the small towns and maybe even see some moose.

Springtime can be an iffy time to come. Last year the ice didn't melt on some of the northern lakes until the middle of May.

Vadnais Heights...
10. Re: Minnesota travel

The timing/definition of "spring" depends where you are. There have been years when the lakes (northern part of the state) have not been free of ice in the middle of May. The same applies to grass and tree growth and it can be much slower and later than you would expect, but when it explodes very rapidly.

Obviously, the southern part of the state greens up a rebounds more quickly than the area north of MSP. the state is almost 400 miles from north to south and the winds and earlier snow cover affect the appearance in Minnesota. The overpowering effects of the inland sea(Lake Superior) hang on for a long time if you are anywhere near it. - It has snowed in Duluth in June and July.

Minnesota is a great place to see the variety of "Mother Nature".

Edited: 12:53 pm, October 15, 2013
Reply to: Minnesota travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted