We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

New Delhi, India
reviews: 1
Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

hello folks ,

My 10th wedding anniversary is a week before thanksgiving , I wanted to plan a 3 day getaway but don't know where to go . we just want a relaxing vacation with a little sightseeing.

we were thinking of going to south Dakota but I put in a thread in the SD forum and people are saying the roads might be bad and half the places might be closed . so we dropped that idea .

So any places u guys can recommend in Minnesota or even somewhere out of state which isn't too far off . we have been to Duluth already ....

any suggestions , thanks !!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

Roads might be bad? Couldn't that be anywhere in the upper Midwest?

Anyway, what about Chicago? Regardless if you have been there before, the flights to chicago have been very reasonable lately (although you would start butting up against the peak travel time of Thanksgiving so maybe the prices rise) and you could never see everything Chicago has to offer in even a couple dozen visits. By that time Michigan Ave should be lit up for Christmas I would think. And it's just a fantastic place to return to. So much to see.

Driving-wise, anywhere on the north shore. Doesn't hafta be Duluth. Find a place with a fireplace and a nice breakfast, sleep in. Go see a few sights and just enjoy your company by the fire and a cocktail. Should be a pretty reasonable time fo year to book with holidays getting close and people generally not vacationing

New Delhi, India
2. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

I know the roads could be bad anywhere , but then if half the attractions are closed , the 8hr drive doesn't seem worth it !

I was already thinking Chicago .... I have never been there ....

Ive been to brainerd and Duluth ? what other places would u recommend ?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
3. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

Man, if you haven't been to Chicago i think that's the ticket. Less than 8 hours drive, which you already stated was do-able. And justa quick check showed spirit airlines can get you there at 148 pp round trip. I think it's up just a tad being close to the holiday. Because I got $90 about 6 months ago. Maybe a more in-depth search reveals better deals. A really nice city and there you can guarantee everything will be open.

Ask on the Chicago forum. A very lively place. Maybe there are some deals on lodging they can help you with or find a unique experience for a anniversary celebration.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
4. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

I say North Shore....go up to the Grand Marais area and enjoy!

New Delhi, India
5. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

I'm quite excited abt Chicago now .... Hmmm try a thread there ... Thank u !!

New Delhi, India
6. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

We took a drive upto north shore n stayed in Duluth over the summer ... I wanted to go some place new !!!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
7. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

Kohler Spa in WI ?

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

Chicago would be fantastic.

Another great (but far smaller) town is Galena, IL.

New Delhi, India
9. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

thank u will look into these for sure !

Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 132
10. Re: Need suggestions for my 10th wedding anniversary !

Hi mntoathens, just to clarify (I post on both forums), we were referring to the windy semi-mountainous roads that go through the Black Hills. For example, Needles Hwy can close in the winter.

Great suggestion with Chicago! All the museums, etc. there will be open all year.

Sanamabhi, I hope you are able to find a great destination for your anniversary trip. Good luck! :)