We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

Jackson, Wisconsin
reviews: 124
Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

Group of close to 20 people coming in for the Iowa football game. Have rad the University web site stating that tailgating is allowed for non season ticket holders in the West Bank and in St Paul. Obviously St Paul is much further away and then requires taking a shuttle to and from the car. What is West Bank area like and how far of a walk to the stadium ?

If we don't tailgate where are there some fun places a large group could lunch and gather before game time?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

As you know, the Iowa-game is a popular game in town (like the WI-MN) game. So that could change things from the norm that I am about to describe for you.

Yes, the lots directly around the stadium are restricted to season pass holders (not necessarily season ticket holders but people who purchased a pass for the season to park in those lots. What that means is you could potentially buy (on stubhub) the pass that applies to the MN-Iowa game from someon who has a season pass and is not going to that game. I have seen tons of Badgers fans in that lot on game day for example. And that's how they got there.

But you are at the mercy of what's available, and nothing will likely be there this early.

The other option is the lot I have tailgated in when I go to Gophers games, and I do not own any type of pass. I have never parked in the lot because a friend had a car there. And I am checking with him via email if he had any type of university-required ID to get in. But I think it's a general admission lot (single game lot) that the UMN doesn't advertise to visiting fans for their use because they likely want to keep space for non-season-pass holding Gopher fans. At any rate I will let you know what I find out from my friend who I tailgate with there. The lot is across 5th Street from Ridder Arena about 2 blocks west (and a tad north) of the stadium. Nice atmosphere with the train yard next door. Things get a little wilder and crazier in that lot than the season pass lots -- not sure if you consider that good or bad!

The last option ordinarily would be Sally's for pregame beers and lunch. But that is closed for remodeling until like next summer. which means all neighborning pregame bar space is going to be severly limited because Sally's was enormous.

I will be back in touch with any info I find out on the lot near Ridder Arena

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
2. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

by the way there is NO way I would tailgate on the SP campus. Or west bank. I would do everytihgn I could to find a tailgating solution (stub hub, craigslist first then look into the Ridder Arena lot) and if I'm not comfortable with that I would just get to Stub and Herb's bar ridiculously early and order a bunch of Bloody Marys!

One other thing: the Ridder Arena lot is more hardcore tailgating. Park your car, cooler and grill, lots of students, etc. The season pass lots will be packed with mascots walking through, the band, and people with all the flags, fancy tailgating gear, etc. Just so you get an idea.

Minneapolis...
3. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

Tailgate, but not either of those options.

Go to the East River flats lot. Cheaper parking than anywhere else ($10 vs $20 or $25). You are on campus, right below CMU. There will be lots of others tailgating, and you'll only be a short walk from the stadium.

More info than you'd ever need: minneapolisparks.org/documents/permits/parki…

Edited: 2:04 pm, August 08, 2013
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
4. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

I didn't know about the East River Flats lot option. I would do that if I were you as there is no requirement to hold a season pass or be a student or blah blah blah.

I did hear back from my tailgating buddy. He said they did have to make a donation to be able to buy admission to that lot, so that's out.

If you are looking to be in the season pass lots you can still look in a couple weeks on stub hub etc because I know people sell them on a per game basis for games they can't make. But only do that if you really need to have the band and cheerleaders and all that crap. Because it won't be cheap. And $10 to tailgate is about as cheap as it gets in Minneapolis. My god, I pay $43 a car on Vikings Sundays!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
5. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

Tailgate !!!!

Saint Charles...
6. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

Tailgate at the MN State Fair grounds. It is right next to the U of M St. Paul campus. If you take Snelling Ave in St. Paul, you will drive right by the entrance to the fair grounds. Signs direct you to the parking lot. It cost $10 to park, and the U of M provides free shuttles to the stadium. You park no farther than a block from the shuttle stop, and it takes about 5-10 min to reach the stadium by shuttle. The shuttles run continuously. I would suggest getting to the lot early, because the lot usually fills up early for that game. We used to park near the campus, and when we discovered this lot, we have gone here ever since. Good luck and happy tailgating!

7. Re: Gopher game tailgating vs pregame lunch for a group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 11, 2014