We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

Chicago
reviews: 1
Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

Hello, TA friends in Minnesota - quick question from Chicago.

Tomorrow my sister-in-law and I are planning to drive to Rochester for a short visit with a relative having a course of treatment at the Mayo Clinic. Normally we would take 90 through Madison, but it appears that we will not be able to dodge the snow along that route tomorrow. So we were thinking of driving straight west into Iowa and then go north from there, as it isn't supposed to snow in Iowa.

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on that, i.e. is it much longer than going 90 (although I would imagine 90 will be slow tomorrow in the snow). Obviously we aren't neophytes at driving in snow, athough mostly in the city, but we would rather avoid it if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
1. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

I really wouldn't recommend going out in that stuff tomorrow, particularly for a one way 350 mile trip. This isn't just a snowfall but a storm warning with blizzard and near-blizzard potential. Rochester could see from 1-5 inches of snow per the forecast and strong winds that put the wind chill temp close to 0. Northeastern Iowa, such as Decorah has a forecast for less than a inch-3 inches and similar winds.

Plymouth, Minnesota
reviews: 64
2. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

If you are not used to driving in open countryside, please be very careful of the wind. It is supposed be VERY windy tomorrow, so watch for bridges, trucks passing you, wind breaks, etc. Be safe.

Edited: 10:14 pm, December 09, 2012
Chicago
3. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

Thanks guys. We left Chicago early this morning with my brother going instead of his wife and made it to Rochester by early afternoon. I-90 was more wet at that time than anything else until west of Mauston. I think the storm ultimately came a little farther south than expected.

I don't see a wind warning for tomorrow and we won't be leaving until later so I hope things will have calmed down by then.

Rochester MN
4. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

I live in Rochester. I have been watching the weather as I want to head to northern Minnesota tomorrow. From what I can tell, the snow is supposed to stay south of Rochester so my guess is that 90 from Chicago would be safe, Especially as the temps are supposed to be around 40 during the day time. What ever you decide, drive according to what you get and buckle up. Welcome to Rochester and the Mayo Medical Center, the best in the world! I still plan to head north tomorrow unlike you, but I will be traveling through some snow but I will drive safe and buckle up. From what I said, the weather has a way of playing tricks on us so you will ultimately have to decide for yourself.

Rochester MN
5. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

Excuse me I meant to say the snow is supposed to stay north of Rochester

Chicago
6. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

Thank you Brad actually made this trip 11 months ago. Mayo is totally amazing, my cousin showed us around. Will probably be heading to Northfield in December so will be checking closer to the date.

Have a safe trip.

7. Re: Traveling to Rochester tomorrow from Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 06, 2014