We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

Which Michigan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 4
Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

Good Morning!

We have decided that we want to do something different this year and go away for Christmas! Would love to hear some recommendations for a romantic get-away within a couple of hours of Lansing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 39
1. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

Frankenmuth? Lots to do and some nice places to stay.

Livonia, Michigan
reviews: 66
2. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

Traverse City - Stay at Chateau Chantal, Chateau Grand Traverse Inn, Grand Traverse Resort

http://www.chateauchantal.com/

http://www.cgtinn.com/

www.grandtraverseresort.com/home/index.cfm

This is a little further than you may want to go...

Thunder Bay Resort in Hillman, MI

thunderbaygolf.com/lodging,-dining-and-rv-pa…

Michigan
3. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated.

Actually, we only live a short distance from Frankenmuth so I was hoping to do something a little different. Also, one of our daughter's lives in Traverse City, so we usually are there a few different times per year, too. But I do really appreciate both of your suggestions.

I'm actually hoping to find a quaint small area that celebrates Christmas out of the past. . .if one even exists! But any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Lorain, Ohio
reviews: 7
4. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

I did a quick search on Google for "old fashioned Christmas Michigan" and came up with something that sounded interesting...

http://www.michigan.org/travel/events/events.asp?cid=03B8F802-D2D1-4A00-B6B4-8A564484B034&city=G2983&m=3;4

check out the Dowagiac Old-Fashioned Christmas Open House Weekend… and there’s also a

Dutch Winterfest in Holland but not sure of the dates..

I had never heard of this city (Dowagiac) but from the map looks like close to Holland, maybe about an hour south of Holland according to Mapquest.

Lorain, Ohio
reviews: 7
5. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

I just re-read your original post, I see you're looking for romantic get-away... what about this place? (see link below) Noel Christmas restaurant, shops, etc. Fits the bill for Christmas, old-fashioned, possibly romantic? (after all, there's a wedding chapel!) A good friend of mine here at work stopped at this place with her husband and they really enjoyed it. It's certainly quaint. Also near Holland, and if you start in Holland and work your way north to Dowagiac, you'll go thru Saugatuck, a city I just love!

http://www.noelrestaurant.com/

Michigan
6. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

Thanks for your suggestions! I have not heard about this particular restaurant that you mentioned, so, we will definitely keep it in mind when travelling that part of the state.

I am finding out that spending Christmas Day away from home isn't all that easy to do! Seems everywhere I look they hold their Christmas festivities either in November or early December. Still hoping to find someplace and will definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Thanks again!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
reviews: 29
7. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

What about Petoskey or Harbor Springs? Both are really cool little up north towns with great downtown areas...very Rockwellian during Christmas time...snow, sledding, carolling, village Christmas tree, etc...all that good small town stuff. Really neat places to visit on or around Christmas time...plus, there's great Christmas day skiing nearby at Boyne Highlands, Nubs Nob and Boyne Mountain.

Michigan
reviews: 1
8. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

One other thought, Naples,Fla:

You do not HAVE to go 'up north'. Remember places like Northville and Plymouth, MI - somewhat nextdoor neighbors, as you probably know. They both do it up big this time of year - definitely old-fashioned up and down Main and Center Streets in Northville and likewise in Plymouth. I think this area is within your distance requirements.

For a romantic dinner, I love McKinnon's Restaurant in Northville (126 E Main). Delicious food, ambiance, etc.

Critics comment: "...beautiful ambiance accented by tiffany lamps was a warm reminder of the European country roots of the cuisine. Mackinnon's has since been a destination for fabulous dinning in a true European setting..."

Not sure about which hotels would be best but sure you can find some.

Have fun whatever you decide!

9. Re: Need Christmas Trip Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 12, 2009