We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UP in mid March

Which Michigan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
UP in mid March

Hi -- I am from the southwest corner of Michigan and have just learned that my family will be heading to the UP in mid March for a school event. The event will be in Escanaba and we are hoping to see Tahquamenon Falls on our way back. (driving up thru Wisconsin, back home over the bridge and thru Michigan) I saw the average temps are in the mi 30s. What are the roads like? I assume big snow storms can still hit? Any advice would be welcome!

6 replies to this topic
Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
reviews: 189
1. Re: UP in mid March

Mid 30s would be warm for March as it might be still the middle of winter. I would expect colder and then be happy if it's 30s. Roads could be anywhere from snow covered and slippery to bare and wet. I've never been to T-Falls in winter. I wonder if they plow into there? You might need snow shoes?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 995
2. Re: UP in mid March

They keep the parking lots cleared at the state park where the falls are located. There is enough snow for snowmobiles, which also park in the parking lot. The paved path that leads to the falls will be snow-covered, but walkable. I do not believe they clean the steps of any snow down to the Upper Falls, but don't quote me on that! The restaurant is open I do believe, at least on the weekends and is a decent place for a lunch or beer or hot drink.

Chicago
reviews: 171
3. Re: UP in mid March

last time i was there in winter, about 10 years ago, the resto was open (and crowded) and access to the falls was simple. got a few pix from that trip....

another site worth checking out along the way is big spring:

uppermichiganwaterfalls.com/Kitchitikipi.html

and here's a vid i just found made INSIDE the spring... keep in mind, the water is about 40 feet deep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e2bFJrxL0w

and if you have time, check this out, which is west of escanaba:

gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/piersgorge.sht…

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 995
4. Re: UP in mid March

That video is pretty cool, ST. Thanks for sharing.

Michigan
5. Re: UP in mid March

Thanks for the advice! I figure this trip will just make a summer trip move up the list of importance.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 102
6. Re: UP in mid March

The weather the day you visit the falls will make all the difference. The falls are still pretty on a cloudy winter day, but sun and blue skiies make it spectacular.

If you get a sunny day, flying over to Mackinac Island for an afteroon is also a treat.

Reply to: UP in mid March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted