We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan in August

Which Michigan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 56
Michigan in August

Hi all,

This will be my first trip through Michigan, and we are going to be there for a week at the end of August. What are the must see areas in Michigan? I've searched the webpage, but I'm trying to see the most important parts of the entire state.

Our definite stops include: Ford Museum, Macinac Island

On the list as possibilities: Saulte Ste. Marie, Traverse City

Interests: We like the outdoors, historic points, but are up for any suggestions.

We will starting near Toledo, OH, if that makes a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Theresa

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
reviews: 129
1. Re: Michigan in August

Wow, that's gonna be a tough one. There are soooo many things to see, but to keep things short and start the conversation I'll suggest the following.

Once you leave Grand Rapids, hightail it straight west and follow US 31 north. Depending on your age(s), you'll want to stop in at least one small beach town to get a feel for the coast. Don't miss Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/index.htm). Leland is a beautiful little town, as well as making the drive to the tip of the Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City. Take US 31 north to the Petoskey / Charlevoix area, getting a glimpse of Torch Lake, one of National Geographic's most beautiful lakes in the world. Take a drive through the Tunnel of Trees (M 22) outside of Harbor Springs.

You'll get lots of great suggestions here, so best of luck with your decisions.

Ohio
2. Re: Michigan in August

Thank you for the suggestions!

Any one else? Another must see cities? Parks? Anything? Or are Macinac Island, the Ford Museum and Dunes the only real things to do in Michigan? :( I was hoping for more.

Livonia, Michigan
3. Re: Michigan in August

I would suggest crossing the bridge into the U P while in Mackinaw ~ take a boat ride out of Munising to see Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore...they are beautiful! also Tahquamenon Falls In Newberry .... Sleeping Bear Dunes .

Livonia, Michigan
4. Re: Michigan in August

.... more in the U P ~ Paradise Mi ~Whitefish Point is the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum w the oldest working lighthouse in the state. Sault Ste Marie has the Soo Lock Tours.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Michigan in August

You might want to repost your question. Usually there are several people who respond with great ideas.

Thompsonville...
reviews: 137
6. Re: Michigan in August

I think it was such a broad questions a lot of the usual contributors opted out for more specific info. Ages of travelers, would be helpful.

When in the TC area, there is much to see and do. Use it as a home base for a day or two and explore the Sleeping Bear Dunes and the hiking trails (Empire Bluffs Trail). Tube down the Platte at the south of the park. It is also fun to explore the two peninsulas (Leelanau and Old Mission) for their little towns, wineries, farm stands, etc. Time at the beach is a must.

Flint, mi
reviews: 824
7. Re: Michigan in August

Depending on the time frame of your trip, I'd check out Michigan's schedule of events for festivals. Some of the very best festivals in Michigan occur in August. Two of my favorites are the GREAT LAKES FOLK FESTIVAL in East Lansing August 9, 10, 11 and the BACK TO THE BRICKS and WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE automotive cruises in the middle of August. Keep these dates in mind also, because local hotel rates go up at the times of these huge festivals as well. At the end of August is the Cascades Civil War Muster in Jackson, Mi. Some attractions in the Grand Rapids, Mi. area I'd highly recommend are the Meijer Gardens and the Meyer May Frank Lloyd Wright house.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Michigan in August

I see that you're still not getting the responses you're looking for. upnorth98 had a good point. If you could be more specific it might help. What ages? What are your interests? How many are traveling? Are you a couple? A family? Is this a romantic trip or action? Any more information would help. Also, I'd check out the Michigan forum for ideas a well.

Ohio
9. Re: Michigan in August

Thank you all for your suggestions. I like the idea of making Traverse City the base point for a day or two. It seems there are lots of things fairly close that you recommended

More Info:

Traveling the last week of August

Interests were stated above, but we like the outdoors, historic points of interest, parks, music (alternative/rock)

We generally tend toward more "active" vacations

I also heard that there are some great beaches on the west side. Any recommendations on which ones would be best for relaxing for a couple of days (after driving and hiking)? I'm not sure if all beaches are open to the public in Michigan.

Is Picture Rock Nat'l Park worth the extra drive? It seems pretty far from everything. The pictures look beautiful. What else could we do near there to make the drive worthwhile? How much time would you recommend spending there? Is it a day trip, or a multi-day trip to see the main parts? Would it be better to just spend a few hours in Sault Ste Marie and then head here?

Thank you again for the additional suggestions. I know it was a hard question, because we want to hit the highlights of the entire state (not one specific city). But, that's why I'm asking the experts. :0)

Would this be a good plan?

Spend a day at the Henry Ford Museum

One day Mackinac Island

Picture Rock for 2 days

Stop at Sault Ste Marie on the way back

Stay in Traverse City for 2-3 days (see Sleeping Bear Dunes/Traverse City/Torch Lake)

?? Some beach city on the way back south ??

Thank you again for the additional suggestions!

Little Rock
reviews: 20
10. Re: Michigan in August

In your original post when you said Ford Museum I think some people assumed the Gerald Ford presidential Museum in Grand Rapids I see that you're probably mean the Henry Ford Museum which is in Detroit and associated with Greenfield Village both great to see probably could spend a day and a half there.

There are also great tours of the auto Baron mansions called mansion in the Detroit area. Search TA or Google.

Between Mac City and Traverse City you have Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlievox, and Elk Rapids Rapids. Harbor Springs is definitely worth a stop and a stroll along the state docks and downtown as is Charlieviox. Petoskey is a little bit more of a city and I have never spent any time in Elk Rapids.

Wilderness State Park is a beautiful secluded beach and State Park area between Mackinaw City and Harbor Springs on Lake Michigan. It is just north of the Tunnel of trees scenic drive & Leggs Inn both worth a visit. The fast don't stop non-scenic drive time between mackinaw city & Traverse City is about 2 1/2 hours. If you're going to take the scenic route and stop a little bit you could spend an entire the day.