We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake vacation

lake vacation

need ideas on which area on Lake Michigan to visit.

it would be my husband and i and our 3 adult children and their significant others.

our children ages range from 19 to 26.

We are interested in renting a lake house (with lake view) does not have to be a secluded area

maybe some historical places to visit, state parks things of that nature.

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vanessa

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 12
1. Re: lake vacation

On Lake Michigan check out VRBO or Homeaway.com. They list homes that do weekly rental and an occasional shorter period. You don't say where you're coming from so towns in lower Michigan would be New Buffalo, St Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, Muskegon, Grand Haven, Ludington, Pentwater, Manistee, Frankfort, Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Mackinac City.

They are all someone's favorite and all have things to do. My suggestions would be St. Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Traverses City (area), Charlevoix and Petoskey. That's just my opinion.

For ideas of things to do in South Haven and Saugatuck take a look at southhaven.org and saugatuck.com

2. Re: lake vacation

Thank you SO much. We are coming from northwest Illinois. I will check into your suggestions!

Little Rock
reviews: 17
3. Re: lake vacation

Home away and VRBO are sister sites but home away does allow you to add filters and sort differently. You can Specify the features you want (Lakefront, number of bedrooms, number bathrooms, number it will sleep) And you can do a map view which will show you the houses (pins) over a very wide area.

Great inland lakes near Traverse City are Glen, Crystal, Lake Leelanau, Torch.

Near Charlevoix there is Lake Charlevoix and Walloon ... Walloon is near Petoskey too.

Burt, Mullet & Douglas are near Petoskey & Harbor Springs

Caro, Michigan
reviews: 13
4. Re: lake vacation

I was going to add something for you... but I can't say anything both of the previous posters didn't already. The further north you come, the cooler the weather.. which is nice when we are in the 80s and everyone else is in the 90s. Also, if you come towards Petoskey / Harbor Springs / Burt and Mullet... you'll have phenomenal golfing, tubing / canoeing, hiking, biking and be within an easy day trip to Mackinaw.

5. Re: lake vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2014