We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

michigan experts

Which Michigan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 18
michigan experts

i traveling to MI june 29- july 7 with a 4 year old

i dont have anything reserved but i think we will stay on mackinac island from 7/3- 7/5, we plan to swim at the grand, ride bikes and do the carriage tour, we were there last may for 3 nights and loved it, we will probably stay at the murray hotel but im open to any similar priced hotels, murray is $165 the 3rd and $205 the 4th

looking for two other towns to visit 6/29- 7/2 and 7/5-7/7

last may we camped at sleeping bear and pictured rocks

i dont think i want to go back to sleeping bear as im sure it will be crowded over the 4th

already been to new buffalo, warren dunes, holland, ludington

im interested in travese city, petoskey, harbor springs and charlevoix

looking for ideas on things to do there

open to switching dates on mackinc if theres another place to watch fireworks from that doesnt involve driving, didnt have any luck in harbor springs

thanks!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
1. Re: michigan experts

Well, I love Charlevoix with kids of all ages. Here are a couple of previous posts regarding this subject. I hope it helps! If you are looking for a resort type of experience, Boyne Mountain Resort is great for kids and families!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42068-i2006-k1857…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42068-i2006-k4629…

The nature museum I refer to in the first post is Raven Hill Nature Center. It is a treasure! Kids love it!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 102
2. Re: michigan experts

Have you thought about the Soo (US & Canada)?

You have the big ships passing through, locks & lighthouse cruises, the cool little combined lock & park on the Canadian side, museums, Vally Camp freighter museum, and the whole thing of visiting another country. Whitefish point and Tahquamenon Falls are an easy day trip away.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
reviews: 146
3. Re: michigan experts

Your dates coincide with the Cherry Festival in Traverse City so that might be good if it looks fun to you and bad if you're wanting to avoid crowds:

cherryfestival.org/cherry-blog/official-2013…

I checked on lodging a couple days ago because we're camping in Muskegon right before the Cherry Festival and thought we might drive to Traverse City for two nights at the end of the camping reservation. There were still a few places with openings, but they were scarce.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
4. Re: michigan experts

I love the 4th of July in Boyne City on Lake Charlevoix. You start out with a trip to the farmers market downtown. Then move on to the cute parade along Main Street. Make sure to bring your 4 year old's bike or trike and lots of patriotic decorations. He/she can ride in the parade! Later in the day is the duck race on the Boyne River. People purchase rubber duckies that are turned loose in the little Boyne River. The current carries them to the lake where one duckie wins! Finally, if you are planning on camping, stay at Young State Park. I love this park that is situated on the northern side of Lake Charlevoix. From the beach you should be able to enjoy the fireworks of both Boyne City and Charlevoix. No need to drive anywhere!

Rochester Hills...
reviews: 69
5. Re: michigan experts

Completely agree with Moms on the Boyne City recommendation. We were in Harbor Springs last year for the fourth of July week and one of the highlights was the day trip to Boyne City. They had a large area set up with all kinds of inflatables that our kids (4 and 2 at the time) loved. Some of the slides had a water option. boynechamber.com/Annual-Events/4th-july-fest…

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
6. Re: michigan experts

CDJD: Thanks for the link! It isn't the farmers market on the 4th, its the fantastic Art Show. I love both the farmers market (held other days) and the Art Show! Make sure to sample some of the delicious cherry treats offered by so many vendors!

7. Re: michigan experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 15, 2014