We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigamme/Van Riper State Park/M Shores CG

Which Michigan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 9
Michigamme/Van Riper State Park/M Shores CG

I will be spending June 26 through July 5 in this area; is it better to stay at Van Riper State Park or Michigamme Shores Campground?

There's still space at both places; Michigamme Shores is reservable, Van Riper is first come-first served.

Anyone got an opinion?

Dayton, Ohio
1. Re: Michigamme/Van Riper State Park/M Shores CG

Oh, I'm tent camping and don't want to be next to a bunch of RV's.

Swartz Creek
reviews: 29
2. Re: Michigamme/Van Riper State Park/M Shores CG

You would probably be happier with the State Park for Tent Camping, likely less expensive too. The lake is beautiful at the state park. It's a very nice park.

I have been to both of those parks and while Michigamme is very nice, it does have more RV's and Full hook ups and such.

Are you sure you cannot make resevations through the State of Michigan DNR camping resevation website?

Dayton, Ohio
3. Re: Michigamme/Van Riper State Park/M Shores CG

Thanks for the information! That's kind of what I thought (regarding the differences between campgrounds) but wasn't sure.

I want to be as close to a certain bit of property we actually own just on the other side of lake Michigamme (Section Sixteen Lake) because that's where the family will hang out most days - extended family - but eventually we'll need access to showers and so on.

We'll probably rotate who sleeps where each night: some of us at Van Riper, some of us on our own property.

No reservations for Van Riper; I called the park directly after the website wouldn't let me make them (reservations). However, they were very helpful and helped me pick out a site over the phone to "go for."

Thanks again!

4. Re: Michigamme/Van Riper State Park/M Shores CG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 13, 2009