We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach vacation in Maryland

Boston...
Beach vacation in Maryland

I will be in the Maryland area for another reason and would like to do a 4 night beach vacation. The hotels at Ocean City do not look very nice, except for the Hilton which is $500.00 a night in July and already bood. Where else do Maryland people go for a nice beach vacation for a few days.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
1. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

Cape cod?

Not sure what you are seeing or looking for. With some details maybe we could give more direction.

Boston...
2. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

Cape Cod Massachusetts? I live in Massachusetts, will be in Maryland looking a colleges and looking to do a beach vacation in Maryland, not Ocean City.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
3. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

There are no beaches other than oc. Certainly none that anybody takes a vacation to as opposed to puts up with because it is close and too far to go to OC.

OC and Delaware beaches are closest to Baltimore. These are 3 hours away.

I know where CC is, but you asked where Marylanders go for a nice beach vacation other than OC and I answered the question. Isn't it great that it is so close to where you already are. :)

Boston...
4. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

It is great that we have such great beaches were I live. I guess I didn't realize that you have to drive so far for a nice beach. Thanks again for the info.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
reviews: 44
5. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

Maryland has a tiny strip of coastline, and most of it is the National Seashore at Assateague. The rest of it is Ocean City. The entire beach is open to the public, with no oceanfront mansions that block off the beach. That being said, the entire strip of Maryland coast is built up from bay to beach. The upper streets (120th-142nd) are my personal favorites, very family friendly with midrise condos and a nice bayside part at 127th.

Many people choose to rent condos for a week instead of staying in hotels. If you are interested in looking into a condo, try searching "oceanblock" through one of the realtors. We've stayed with cbvacations.com in the past, although there are plenty of choices.

To the north of Ocean City you'll find the Delaware Beaches, some of which call themselves "the Quiet Resorts". Bethany Beach is quite nice (hotels are expensive here too, though), as is Fenwick. As with Ocean City, many people find it more economical to rent for a few days.

I do like our local beaches and hope that you'll find something pleasant to visit!

Boston...
6. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

Thank you Aster143, your post was very helpful to me in understanding the area.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 239
7. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

I lived in Marshfield MA for several years and used to go to Cape Cod quite often. I live in Maryland now and it took only one visit to OC to know I did not want to visit again. Just not my cup of tea, cheesy souvenir shops everywhere, tons of people, and not the best lodging choices. This is not to knock the other locals who swarm here during the warmer season.

That said, the Delaware Beach area is much nicer. We have stayed both in Rehoboth Beach and Lewes DE. (Drive time is similar to OC). Nearby is Cape Henlopen State Park which has gorgeous beaches, and great trails for both walking and biking. Delaware has some great tax free shopping too.

It is always quite expensive in this area at the height of the season not unlike Cape Cod. www.visitdelaware.com

Boston...
8. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

6tareg that you very much for your post. I total understand what you are saying. I think I feel the same way about OC that is why I am hesitating on booking there. Could you recommend lodging in the Delaware Beach area?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
9. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

You don't say if this is a solo trip, budget, etc. Take a look at the Rehoboth lodging pages for ideas. Once you have a couple in your range, then it is easier to answer questions. Also, the DE regulars don't necessarily look here and they have good info also.

Also consider Bethany Beach in DE. While we have been helpful to you, still not sure exactly what you are looking for? If just a few days on the beach without all the activity of being on the boardwalk in OC, then there is still plenty of OC to consider.

MooMoo just wrote a great description of OC in another thread. take a look at that as well.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 239
10. Re: Beach vacation in Maryland

I think it would be best for you to post in the Delaware forum. When we traveled there we stayed at places that were pet friendly which narrowed our lodging choices a great deal. When you post, it is important that you mention what your preferences are i.e. kid friendly, price range, beachfront, canal front, inn, b&b, home rental etc. This will help destination experts narrow in on suggestions for you.

Lewes is more cape codesque if there is such a term. Historical with cute shops and interesting restaurants, but not really ocean front properties and no large resorts. Rehoboth is more like a sophisticated OC, smaller with a boutique hotel or two, some nice B&B;s inns, unique stores, and better restaurants. (Think P-town without some of the craziness).

I think you will find a wealth of information on the Tripadvisor site as well regarding reviews of the many properties these two towns offer. Since our last visit (several years back), there have been some new lodging options that look interesting. After finally getting a home on the water (off the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis), we don't have a yearning as much to travel to the East Coast beaches, so I am a bit out of touch.