We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco Area
reviews: 1
Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

We are flying to Boston from California over Memorial Day weekend prior to attending a graduation. We are hoping to rent a house within a couple of hours of Boston for 4-5 days.

Our group consists of a group of 4-6 20-somethings and a set of parents.

Any suggestions on where to stay? I know it's early, but what do you recommend between Cape Cod, Newport or the Maine coast?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 131
1. Re: Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

Guess my answer would be: "where" depends on the kind of experience you're looking for.... Been a while since we were there last, but I remember Newport RI for it's old, historic mansions and gradual, rocky coastline. Cape Cod, depending where you are on the Cape itself, will give you long sand beaches and, at the National Seashore, great, undeveloped sand dunes. Southern Maine (south of Portland) will give you some sand beaches, but also chances for rocky, cliff-like coastline (the Cliff Walk in Ogunquit or Ocean Ave in Kennebunkport come to mind). Wherever you decide, don't hesitate before making reservations,,,, Memorial Day weekend traditionally marks the "first official weekend" of the summer season for many coastal/beach areas, meaning accommodations can fill up quickly well before the actual weekend.

San Francisco Area
2. Re: Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

Thank you!

Am I right in thinking that our chances for good weather will increase as we move south? Or would any difference be likely to be inconsequential?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 131
3. Re: Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

The answer to your "weather" question depends a bit on how you define "good weather".... If you mean warmer temperatures, the answer would be an almost-universal "yes" if you're comparing Maine to Cape Cod to Rhode Island.... If you're talking about precipitation, there really is no geneeral answer... Some of our storns come up the East Coast and then turn out to sea -- sometimes before they get to New England at all; sometimes after grazing the Connecticut and Rhode Island coast; sometimes already far enough out to sea to hit only Cape Cod; and sometimes hitting just the Maine coastline..... Other times, our storms come in from the states and Canadian provinces to our west -- often in east-to-west bands that sometimes hit Rhode Island and Cape Cod, but continue east without hitting Maine -- other times tracking too far north to hit R.I. or the Caoe, but encompassing much of the Maine coast.... Weather forecasters often say that predicting New England weather is often among the toughest assignments anywhere in the U.S.... we natives express it another way -- "If you don't like the weather in Maine at the moment, just wait a minute and it will change." Unless temperature differences are critical, I wouldn't base my vacation decision on the potential weather differences between Rhode Island, Cape Cod or the Maine coastline....just too tough to predict accurately this far out....

San Francisco Area
4. Re: Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

Very helpful perspective. Thank you!!

5. Re: Where to stay in Maine on Memorial Day Weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 01, 2015