We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

A friend and I want to rent something on the ocean, probably while it's still chilly in March/April for a couple of weeks. We'd like to be near a village (don't care about boutiques, but a few bookstores/restaurants/fishing would be great). We're not looking to swim --in fact, rocky beach would be better--mainly we want some scenery, to read with coffee and blankets looking out over the ocean, feel a bit isolated from the busy world, get some peace and quiet. Any suggestions for a suitable area? If at all possible, we'd love someplace where there are rentals with some character--wood frame houses with porches, say, rather than condos or cheap pre-fab cottages. Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
1. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

You might like this:

http://www.seasidecottages.com/

You would be isolated on what we call "the back side" or The Quiet Side of Mount Desert Island. Yet you would have the shops of Southwest Harbor and Bar Harbor a mere 20 minutes away. And you would have all of Acadia National Park to explore just in case you grew bored.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 131
2. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

This may get confusing due to the similarity of names, but if you don't mind being in a small cottage complex, we've had some great stays at this one -- especially off-season trips like the one you're planning. Rocky beach right outside the front door -- great sunsets -- definitely off the beaten path on the "quiet side' of Mount Desert Island, but equally close to Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor etc.... really easy driving during the time of year you're talking about...

http://www.seasidemaine.com/

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 11
3. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

I would also look in the greater Damariscotta area. Here is just one rental agent in that area:

http://www.ldchase.com/rental.list.php

Main Street Damariscotta and Newcastle (twin villages) houses a variety of shops and restaurants. Down the peninsula are villages like New Harbor, Pemaquid, South Bristol, etc. Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is a great spot to ocean-gaze in the winter. Just don't go climbing on the rocks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
4. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

And if you really want to get away from it all you could go to Monhegan Island:

http://www.shiningsails.com/rentals.html

But there is no book store, two coffee shops which probably don't open until Memorial Day, and you might even have to pack in some of your own food. March and April could be grim, weather-wise.

Boothbay Harbor...
5. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

I wonder how many of these cottages would even be open to rent in March / April -- the seasonal water in our area is not turned on until mid-April at the earliest. Because Maine can still expect freezing temperatures in March / April, you would be looking for a rental house that is insulated and heated, with a year-round water supply. You'll have more luck with the seasonal places if you were coming in late April or early May.

Edited: 6:54 am, January 07, 2013
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 131
6. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

Harborfields -- Can't speak for the others, but know from personal experience that the place I suggested is open year-round.... better half and several friends rented one of their cabins for a February-school-vacation get-away and had a great time....

Bar Harbor, Maine
7. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

And Seaside Cottage is open year 'round. The one right next to the water was a retirement home. Only $1000 a week in March and April.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 135
8. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

I'm no expert on the area, but Monhegan is fabulous for remoteness. I do understand that it might be mostly shut down for the season, but we had great fun there this past summer. Trust the locals advise. I'm just throwing my two cents into the pond.

9. Re: Looking for a beautiful bleak retreat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 10, 2014