We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine in December 2012

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kimberly
Maine in December 2012

We are planning a trip to Maine December 22-29th. Our plan is to fly into Maine and drive over to Boston and up to NYC I was wondering if hurricane Sandy devastation will have any effect on our trip or should we reschedule.

Thanks

Mindy

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
1. Re: Maine in December 2012

The hurricane did very little damage in Maine or in Boston. Do you have your itinerary worked out for the seven days? I know you said earlier that you wanted to see everything from Canada to NYC which is quite a lot to do in seven days, especially when winter weather might give you some travel problems.

Kimberly
2. Re: Maine in December 2012

I do not have an itinerary yet. Having a hard time :). We really want to see Boston and NYC could most likely skip Canada. I saw where Boston would most likely not be a problem but NYC could be a trek. Is there a train that runs in the winter to Boston.

Oh so we could encounter winter weather travel problems. I am getting conflicting information. Certainly do not want to get stuck or in an incident on vacation.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
3. Re: Maine in December 2012

Trains between Boston and NYC run year-round....

That said, depending on the weather while you're here, which no one I know can predict with any certainty this far ahead, you could conceiveably run into weather-related travel problems -- or not....

In general, with late December travel, you could run into a snowstorm somewhere on your trip.... not uncommon that time of year. That said, there have also been winters within the past several years where we have had no snowfall that time of year and no snow on the ground from previous storms. Other years, but not in recent memory, we've had major snowstorms around the Christmas and New Year's holidays. There really is no way to tell what you might encounter more than a few days ahead of time.

If -- and remember, it's a big "if" -- you encounter a major winter snowstorm with several inches of snow over a short period of time (several hours or even a day-long storm), you could encounter traffic delays on highways and even delayes or postponements in train travel... Are those likely -- probably not, based on recent history. Are they possible... yes.

But most of us who live here don't obsess about such things... We simply schedule the things we want to do for the time(s) we want to do them, watch the weather forecasts closely, and adjust/postpone/reschedule when we have to.... No sense in worrying yourself sick about something over which you have absolutely no control....

4. Re: Maine in December 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 28, 2013