We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Bangor,ME to Northern VT

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Brunswick Canada
reviews: 2
Driving From Bangor,ME to Northern VT

Traveling from New Brunswick Canada to VT in early November and looking for best route and places to stop. It will be myself and my husband and our 20 month old toddler. We've traveled to Bangor many times and have headed south to Portland, Freeport and Boston, but never west to VT. The recommended route after Bangor seems to be US-2. Is this the best (for us that means fastest, well marked with roads in good condition, but also with pit stops if needed for the little person)?

Recommendations as well for places to stop so our toddler can get out and run around and a good place for a quick lunch would be helpful!

Thanks!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 131
1. Re: Driving From Bangor,ME to Northern VT

In general, US Rt 2 will be your best bet... a couple of other possibilities offer some sections of divided, controlled-access highway, but are at least half an hour (or more) longer....

But you can save yourself a little time by using I-95 from Bangor south to Exit 157 in Newport, ME and picking up US Rt 2 there -- just turn right at the end of the exit ramp, go a short distance and watch for the left-hand turn onto US Rt 2 west....

Haven't driven this full route for a while, so will leave pit stop suggestions to those who have used it more recently...

New Brunswick Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Driving From Bangor,ME to Northern VT

Thank you for your reply! I mapped a few other routes, and like you said, it would be at least 30 minutes longer. I'll post this question on the New Hampshire and Vermont forum and maybe someone can help me out with places to stop.

3. Re: Driving From Bangor,ME to Northern VT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, December 14, 2013