We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you know why?

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
merrimac
reviews: 2
do you know why?

We have a cabin in maine which we go to most every weekend and have noticed that people stack rocks in thier garden/on thier property . Sometimes 4or5 high WHY?????????? do you know the reason or purpose of this? Does it have a meaning of sorts? Thanks just wondering

Michigan
reviews: 14
1. Re: do you know why?

When people go hiking they erect rock stacks to show the way. There is a special name for it which escapes me right now. But anyways, you'll see those stacks in parks and hiking trails to mark the way or in areas they don't want you to walk. I bet these nature lover's are doing it for those good memories:)

Michigan
reviews: 14
2. Re: do you know why?

Found it. It was driving me crazy! The formations are called cairns. Now, many people just call it rock stacking and do it more for an art form, or a balancing act while hiking. But true cairns mark the way.

merrimac
3. Re: do you know why?

Thank you so very much I was so curious about the rock stacking It makes good sense to me now. Mystery over THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southern Maine
reviews: 43
4. Re: do you know why?

Gardens in Maine grow rocks along with vegetable and flowers. As you dig, you uncover more and more rocks. Gotta put 'em somewhere.....

merrimac
5. Re: do you know why?

Suppose your RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!gotta put them somewhere

thanks

merrimac
6. Re: do you know why?

I did a google search on cairns and the info was amazing now I know Thanks so very much for the input Learn something new everyday HUH?????

Maitland, FL
reviews: 18
7. Re: do you know why?

The do them all along the cliff walk in York Harbor too.

Lehigh Valley, PA
reviews: 4
8. Re: do you know why?

I am in Bar Harbor/Acadia as I write. In Acadia, painted blazes and "CAIRNS" mark the way on the trails. The cairns, some of which are very large, have been built by the park service and trail tenders from organizations like "Friends of Acadia".

Bogus cairns may be fun to build but they can't end up leading an unsuspecting hiker off the trail and possibly getting them lost. Not a good thing.

So please think twice before going crazy building "artistic" cairns along trails.

merrimac
9. Re: do you know why?

Thurstonbb

I have seen them

paflyfisher Hope you enjoy your stay

and YES!!!!!!!!!!!! bogus cairns on a hiking trail NO GOOD.................

Thanks for the replies

10. Re: do you know why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:50 am, December 08, 2009