We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week fall trip, three states, too little or two much?

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oregon
reviews: 15
Two week fall trip, three states, too little or two much?

Hello,

Please let me know how our itinerary looks to those of you who live in New England. We welcome any suggestions for changes, this will be our first time to New England. We will be celebrating our 25th. We are from Oregon.

Kennebunkport, Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor = one week

North Conway/Jackson = three days

Stowe Vermont - Day trips from Stowe???? four days

Thank you in advance for your help. Anyone coming to Oregon I would be happy to help!

Brunswick, Maine
reviews: 39
1. Re: Two week fall trip, three states, too little or two much?

You will be busy, but it's doable if you plan your time wisely:

1. make all your motel reservations ahead of time so you don't waste time driving around looking for a place to stay.

2. pick up a guidebook now so you can research your local options (eating, sightseeing, etc.) ahead of time and don't use precious time doing research on the spot after you get to a locale.

Don't scrimp on Bar Harbor/Acadia. Give it at least three nights.

Don't waste $$ on whale watching unless the sighting record for earlier than day/the day before is good.

It would be good to remain flexible in the Mt Washington Valley so you can pounce on the prettiest weather day / clearest day for a trip up Mount Washington. You don't want to do that on a day with lousy visibility.

scituate, ma
reviews: 1
2. Re: Two week fall trip, three states, too little or two much?

Sounds like a great trip! I don't know what order in which you are planning the stops on your Maine trip, but keep in mind, there are only a few east-west options for highway travel (actually "highways", i.e. I95, I93, are north-south, east-west routes are secondary roads). Your best Maine to NH route is probably Rte 302, Portland ME to North Conway NH. Rte 2 is also an interesting drive, but slower. Rte 2 continues through NH into VT and might be a good option for the Jackson NH to VT leg.

In Maine, try to get off the beaten track if time permits. Your itinerary sounds like fun, these are all great towns to visit; I hope your time in "Baah Habah" allows you time to explore Acadia Nat'l Park - words cannot describe how beautiful this is.

If you can fit it in consider exploring the Blue Hill peninsula (between Camden and Bar Harbor). Beautiful small towns, amazing scenery. There's a little take out seafood restaurant in Blue Hill called the Fisherman's Net. They have about 6 tables inside and more outside. Not glamourous, no linen tablecloths, not even a breath taking view - but the best fried clams & scallops I have ever had. Yes, there is seafood beyond the ubiquitous lobster.

It's worth a drive out to Stonington on Deer Isle (all the way to the tip of the Blue Hill Peninsula and over the bridge to Deer Isle). It's a real working fishing village, not touristy at all.

Get your hands on a good map. DeLorme makes the best maps in New England, I'm sure they have a website.

In the North Conway/Jackson area there are great dining and lodging options from family to fine dining. We like the Red Parka Pub in Glen, NH for local color, great salad bar, and buffalo wings that will burn your lips off.

Recreational opportunites here in the Mt. Washington Valley area are fabulous.

WHat kinds of activites are you looking for?