We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barren River Lake vs. Nolin Lake

Michigan
reviews: 72
Barren River Lake vs. Nolin Lake

We will be traveling to the Mammoth Cave area in early August and are looking to camp at Barren River Lake State Resort Park or Nolin Lake STate Park. We will be there for about a week so we like the additional amenities of the resort park but are concerned about comments regarding recent beach closures and the general decline of the facilities. Any comments or suggestions regarding either of these parks? We will be tent camping. There will be 2 families with a total of 4 adults and 6 kids (infant - age 9).

Indianapolis
reviews: 54
1. Re: Barren River Lake vs. Nolin Lake

I can't say much about Lake Nolin. I have never been there. I have been to BRSP, the most recent being about 4 weeks ago. We have held our family reunion there on and off for over 15 years. Can't say much about camping as we usually stay in the cabins or cottages. I can tell you that I can't remember the last time the beach was actually open. Thinking about it I don't think it has ever been open and by the looks of it gain in June there are no immediate plans to ever have it open. The pool is pretty nice but the infant pool as aslo not been open/functional in the last 3-4 years. We have a young one and when my wife called down to see if it would be open when we would be there in June(since it has not been open our 3 previous trips) she was told no and that there was no immediate plan to fix it that anyone was aware of. The lake and parks grounds themselves IMO are very nice. The staff at the lodge and marina have always been really friendly and helpful but the facilities are very much in need of repair.

reviews: 1
2. Re: Barren River Lake vs. Nolin Lake

Have you thought about staying at jellystone park campground near mammoth cave? There is lots and lots for kids there. Also, there is a campground inside the national park that appears nice. Can't speak to either of the parks you mentioned since haven't stayed there in years.

3. Re: Barren River Lake vs. Nolin Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 10, 2014