We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Chicago

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
913 posts
40 reviews
Layover in Chicago

Much like the television show I love, I will have approx 48 hours in Chicago, April 12-14. My DW will be in for a conference and I will be arriving Friday evening around 7, leaving Sunday back to NO at 9pm. This is my first trip to Chicago and I realize that I cant see and do everything. I'd love to hear your different opinions on what the must do's are. Here are a couple things on my list so far.... Willis Tower, Al's Italian Meats, and most probably a Cubs game.

Price really isnt a restraint, I'd love to have the best meal Chicago has to offer (fine dining and casual) and visit the best sites I can in such a short period.

I'd like to have a nice dinner Friday night and a nice Brunch on Sunday.

We are staying at the Hyatt downtown.

Thanks for all your help!!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
207 reviews
1. Re: Layover in Chicago

the SEARS tower (what's the 'willis' tower?) is fine, but you can get a great view from the signature lounge near the top of the john hancock building for the cost of a sandwich and beverage....heck, do your sunday brunch up there...

www.signatureroom.com/Signature-Lounge/

you'll be here in mid april---unlike down south, mid april is during our mud season... usually too cold for summer-type fun and too warm/rainy for winter-type fun... the vegetation won't be leafing out for another 3-4 weeks and the ground tends to be muddy.... but, april temps vary wildly around here---it could be 80 and sunny, or 40 and rain.... so, it's best to check the weather sites before you leave home....

…wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/

intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

that being said, a cubs game can be a miserable proposition---nothing like sitting in a half-empty wrigley, on a cloudy 45 degree day with a stiff wind off lake michigan....

so, if the weather looks like it will be nice, go for an architectural tour (walking or river).... if possible, rent a bicycle and ride along the lakefront for an afternoon.... if it looks like it will be lousy, check out some of our great museums...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35,760 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Layover in Chicago

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com are good online dining resources. You can search by area, cuisine, budget etc. Please don't limit yourself to downtown dining options. We have wonderful neighborhood spots as well.

www.choosechicago.com for ideas of what to see/do here.

3. Re: Layover in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 05, 2014