We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I90 Toll

Stafford, United...
reviews: 9
I90 Toll

Landing at O'Hare Chicago in a few weeks and traveling to Duluth (MN) via a stopover in Madison (WI). We will be traveling on the I90 which I see is a toll. or part toll road. I have looked at the relevent website but find it slightly confusing. How much of this route is toll? Do you have to leave the road to pay tolls? Do you need a lot of coins or are the toll booths manned?

Thank you

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 3
1. Re: I90 Toll

The Illinois Tollway has a two-tier payment structure. If you pay cash, you pay a higher toll than drivers who buy a transponder called an I-Pass or E-ZPass that's pre-loaded with money.

Drivers with a transponder need not stop to pay tolls, a unit mounted above the roadway "reads" the transponder number and automatically deducts the (hopefully) correct amount from their account.

Drivers who pay cash need to pull into the toll plaza on the right, but don't leave the highway. The plazas are all staffed and well marked. The only time you may encounter an unstaffed tollbooth is at some exits if you leave the roadway completely.

There are oases on the route that have washrooms, restaurants and fuel. There's a map on the Tollway site at http://tinyurl.com/2cgz6jb. It may be a little easier to understand.

The chart for the Jane Addams Tollway/I-90 is at the top. You'll be entering at O'Hare, near the bottom of the chart and traveling west. Unless you exit the tollway, you'll only encounter tolls at the places listed in bold type. At Devon Ave, you'll have to pay $.80, then another $.80 at Elgin, $1.60 at Belvidere and $1.00 at South Beloit before you enter Wisconsin.

You can use paper currency except at the unstaffed locations which only accept coins. If you return via the same route you'll pay tolls at South Beloit, Marengo-Hampshire and Elgin.

Stafford, United...
reviews: 9
2. Re: I90 Toll

Thanks for your help - understand it now.

3. Re: I90 Toll

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 23, 2010