We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 25th Anniversary

Which Hawaii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, OK
Advice for 25th Anniversary

First, thanks for any advice. Looking for upper scale beach resort for anniversary next May. Friends have suggested Hawaii, Grand Caymen or USVI, but none have traveled much. Looking for great beach to snorkel and maybe scuba. Only been to Cancun, like beach but not into night club scene. Looking for someplace not too crowded or isolated. Somewhere there are activities and other things to do (sightsee, horse ride, excursions to other islands, etc.). All inclusive nice (like to know cost and like to drink on beach and at pool) but not necessary. Any suggestions on location and resort appreciated.

GA/HI
1. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

Aloha Tulsa,

Just so you know ahead of time about our Hawaii state law vs Caymen, USVI, Cancun--

It is illegal to drink any alcoholic beverages on any of our public beaches or at any of the public parks in Hawaii.

Each hotel will vary as to where on their property you can drink your alcoholic beverage.

There are designated areas and circumstances such as at their bars and restaurants, etc. Check with the property.

~mahina

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
2. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

You might check out some resorts on the Big Island -- lots to do -- not too crowded. Less touristy than some of the other islands.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is on a great beach -- you'll find lots of info in this forum. www.princeresortshawaii.com/MKB/

Four Seasons Hualalai www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/

Beautiful resort, great service

Kona Village Resort

www.konavillage.com/

Exclusive, secluded, lots of planned activities; you can book all inclusive here

Mauna Lani Bay Hotel

http://www.maunalani.com/

Don't know too much about this one...

Fairmont Orchid

www.fairmont.com/orchid/

A word about "all inclusive" in Hawaii -- I wouldn't do it. Hawaii is not like Cancun or Jamaica where you go to a resort and stay there. If that's what you want, save your time and go to Mexico or the USVI.

Hawaii is an incredibly beautiful place with lots to do. There are plenty of super-nice resorts. There are also lots of activities like the ones you mention above. Read some of the other posts about the various islands and things to do ... Stay in a nice place, but realize that if you want to experience Hawaii you won't be spending a lot of your time at the resort. Having said that, it's really nice to have a great room to come home to and also a resort where you want to spend a couple of days just lounging around.

All the islands have something special -- Kauai is smaller but is beautiful ... some nice beaches but I generally think of it as a place to do more outdoorsy stuff.

Maui is probably the most touristy but has a lot to offer between Lahaina (an old fishing village), Kaanapali with a lot of the popular resorts, Wailea -- a bit more upscale, Kihei -- laid back & mostly condos, upcountry (if you like the "mountains"), or Hana (really remote but with a world class resort)

The Big Island has beautiful beaches, mountains, ranches, coffee farms, the volcano -- it is extremely diverse. There is a lot to see and do on both sides of the island.

Oahu -- with Waikiki -- famous, of course. The USS Arizona is a must see in my opinion (and I've been many, many times), but can be done coming or going. Waikiki is interesting; the North Shore is beautiful. Lots to do, as this is where Honolulu is ... lots of touristy stuff.

I visit every year, at least, so I definitely think it's worth it. You just have to find the right place for you.

PS even if you can't drink on the beach you can have plenty of drinks by any hotel pool.

Kauai / Los Angeles
3. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

Grand Cayman is very nice but very expensive. Lots of tourists also, but scuba is fantastic. Someplace not too crowded or too isolated without the night club scene kind of sounds like Kauai or the Big Island would suit you best. Snorkeling on either island is great, but scuba would be better on TBI. May on the north shore of Kauai is beautiful and you could certainly do a lot of sightseeing, horse riding, hiking, and kayaking. Not too many all-inclusive places, but definitely luxury hotels with swim-up bars!! If you have the time, a two island trip would be a very memorable anniversary.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 35
4. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

The first thing I thought of after reading your post was Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu. It's in a very secluded spot, so you'll have privacy and quiet, but it's just a quick trip to town for some action. There are also a lot of activities right on the resort, including horseback riding. It's not all-inclusive, nothing in Hawaii truly is, but they have three or four restaurants and two or three bars that you could charge to your room.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
5. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

Kona Village Resort is the only all inclusive in the Islands.

The rates are from $530 (standard) to $1160 (super deluxe) per night.

I would not recomend an all inclusive, this is not Mexico and there are tons of places to see and tons of places to dine at that you would miss by staying there.

Congrats on the 25th.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 26
6. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

My opinion is the the Four Seasons on the Big Island is the best upscale resort in the islands. They have everything one would want except a swimmable beach. You would have to go elsewhere on the island for snokelling (although they have a coral reef pool stocked with great fish and eagle rays which is fun to snorkel). The beach there is still beautiful to lounge on, walk up and down, or have a drink at the beach tree bar. The spa is one of the best I have ever used. The 5 pools are outstanding. The restaurants have both great food and views. The standard rooms are huge and well equiped. And the Four Seasons staff are absolutely outstanding!

Illinois
7. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

I'll be going to Oahu and Maui on my 25th Anniversary.

When I take this vacation it will be a dream come true,

taken me 7 yrs to plan and save . I will have it all

figured out for the activities and resturants.

My pick to stay are Outrigger Waikiki on the beach

I'm realize this hotel isnt the best . I know several

other hotels are nicer. I'm saving the best for last.

Fourseasons on Maui , I picked , cause its less

people and not as croweded as Grand Wailea, (for

example ).

I'll make sure to make reservations at some

restuarants. It will all be planned and reservations

before I leave home ( 6 months ).

Hope you enjoyed reading , Oh I have alot more

to say , enough for now .

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 26
8. Re: Advice for 25th Anniversary

Good choice Sweetie, you will LOVE the FS Maui. Enjoy!