We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

Which Hawaii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nutley, New Jersey
reviews: 22
Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

I have heard this rumor. I am wondering if it is true.

The last time I was in Maui I stopped at a black sand beach and brought home lava rocks and sand. I went to a phsycic recently and told me I have negativity aruond me and it could be from the rocks.

Is this true??

Southern California
1. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

Ever see that episode of the Brady Bunch?? I'm wondering if stuff like that is true too!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 14
2. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

Bad luck - who knows? Bad manner - YES!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 25
3. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

>> I went to a phsycic recently and told me I have negativity aruond me and it could be from the rocks. <<

<cue Twilight Zone music>

Is it true? I suppose if you believe it, it is. In reality? No. Not true, but rude, and in some places like the black sand beach on the Big Island it's illegal. Just think if everyone removed "just a little bit;" we'd run out eventually.

Think of it this way: You took some of Madam Pele's children off-island. She'll probably force you to come back and bring them home. In my case she forced me to move here. :0

Rule of thumb: Don't p*ss off Pele.

Nutley, New Jersey
reviews: 22
4. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

Well I am actually just going to Oahu in 2 months but I found a web-site where you can mail back your lava rocks and they will return them from where you got them.

Sylvania, Ohio
reviews: 24
5. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

Like pzp said - Rule of thumb: Don't p*ss off Pele. When you take soemthing from her....she doesn't like it!

Now you will have to go back to Maui and return the rocks and sand...oh darn!!

New Hampshire
reviews: 11
6. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

"Think of it this way: You took some of Madam Pele's children off-island. She'll probably force you to come back and bring them home. In my case she forced me to move here. :0"

Is this your way of trying to DISSUADE us from taking lava rocks?!?! Because if it means I have to come back to the islands - or even move there permanently - well, I'm gonna pack my whole suitcase with lava for the trip back ;-)

Chris

San Francisco
7. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

I saw a TV interview with a ranger at Volcanos National Park. He was asked the question about bad luck ... if you take rocks home. His answer was - no, it's not bad luck - but the National Parks Services thinks that the taboo is great because it keeps the tourists from defacing the landscapes by removing public property.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
8. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

I heard or read somewhere that this "myth" started with tour bus operators. Seems visitors would pick up lava rocks then forget them and they would have to remove them from the bus. To help curb that one came up with the idea of saying it was bad luck and from then on no more rocks to clean up. Not sure if it is true or not but as PZP pointed out it might not be legal and it darn sure is is or should be discouraged. Not wanted to anger Madam Pele and have her start a volcano here in Michigan we just leave the rocks and sand where it is...

Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 5
9. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

Aloha, "Take only pictures; leave only footprints"

Orange county...
10. Re: Bad luck if you bring home lava rocks?? Is this true???

I am not a superstition people, but it is bad luck to my family....after my wife took a lava rock from Oahu island to California...

My family paid a great price.

We lost a daughter in the shooting at the school.

That was happen after my vacation from Hawaii.

Please do not take lava rock.

We have to release the lava rock into the Pacific Ocean latter.