We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to eat?

Potters Bar, Herts
What to eat?

I am visiting Florida for the first time in October and driving from South to North visiting a variety of places. I always like to eat what the locals eat wherever I go. What should I not miss out on - bearing in mind that I am not a great fish eater (hate the thought of fish bones sticking in my throat after a nasty experience many years ago).

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
1. Re: What to eat?

See if you can find some little places serving Cuban or Carribean cuisine. Most Cuban restaurants will have delicious pork and beef dishes-some of the major seasonings would be lime or sour orange juice, oregano, cumin, garlic and onion. Ropa Vieja ( shredded beef ) and Piccadillo ( ground beef hash with olives) and boliche (pot roast) are some of my favorites, along with fried plantains ( bananas) and flan, a delicious caramel custard.

The Carribean restaurants usually have "jerked" dishes, especially chicken or pork, spiced with cloves , cinnamon etc. Some can be quite hot and spicy. Depending on the country represented you may also find empanadas, little meat filled turnovers.

You wont have to worry anout fishbones if you stick to shrimp ( Dixie Crossing in Titusville is famous for them) or conch fritters which are spicy deep fried dough with pieces of conch meat ( a shellfish much like clams). They are delicious with a nice cold beer or margarita and usually found on the appetizer menu.. You also should enjoy lots of Key Lime Pie- available everywhere- I think the statewide Publix supermarket sells a very good one.

There's lot of other good stuff- those are some of my favorites.

Potters Bar, Herts
2. Re: What to eat?

Thanks for the recommendations. It all sounds delicious. Can't wait for the key lime pie.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
3. Re: What to eat?

Happy to try to help! Keep in mind that REAL Key Lime pie is pale greenish YELLOW in color. If you are served some bright green lime colored pie it is artificial everything with food coloring added. I once saw "Key Lime Pie" on a menu outside of Florida and pleasantly asked the waitress what color it was- she looked at me like I was insane and chirped "why Green of course!" and I guess she's still trying to figure out why I said just as pleasantly "no thanks I'll pass."

If you can list a few of the towns you plan to visit I'll bet I and others could suggest some places. There's also a great site called roadfood.com where the authors go to little inexpensive places for local specialties- and people also send in suggestions. There are lots of good places listed in Florida- especially in the Keys and the Panhandle. And, if you are flying out of Atlanta, see if you can manage a trip to the Varsity- a real locals joint that should be on the Roadfood site. I wish I could go with you - sounds like big fun!

Potters Bar, Herts
4. Re: What to eat?

Ok, yellow key lime pie it is. We are in Miami, Coconut Grove for 4 nights, then on to Fort Myers, St Petersburg/Clearwater, St Augustine and finally to Savannah. So much to see and so little time but it will be a once in a lifetime experience for experience for us, so we aim to see and do as much as possible. I will certainly check out that website.

Many thanks for your help. Make sure the weather is good for us in October!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
5. Re: What to eat?

Well, Miami is your Mecca for Cuban food- lots of choices in the SW 8th st area among others.- the Versailles is the most well known, but if you ask in the Miami Forum, you'll get lots of non- touristy choices. The nice thing is that Cuban food is quite reasonable in price.

Savannah Georgis has a couple of touristy but well known restaurants. One is the lady and Sons , owned by a Food Network Celebrity chef. They have a buffet which has lots of southern specialties( fried chicken and grits , fruit cobbler etc.) Not sure if they take reservations. There is also a restaurant set up like a boarding house with a communal table ( set times and grace is said before dining). the name escapes me , but it is named for the owner. You have a boutiful table of whatever they choose to make and I think it's a no reservation, stand in line early policy. I'm sure someone in the Savannah Forum can fill in my blanks- that will let you try lots of local specialties at once.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
6. Re: What to eat?

The Place in Savannah is Mrs. Wilke's and the line for lunch starts forming at 10:30 am. If you are there be sure to get in it. Details at Roadfood.com.

Potters Bar, Herts
7. Re: What to eat?

I have seen the reviews for Lady & Sons and Mrs Wilkes. I don't believe in queing for a meal - why waste the time, and besides we don't eat a big lunch so will save my thoughts of fried chicken etc until the evening meal. It is sad I know but we are even looking forward to trying an actual american hot dog with all the trimmings.

Palm Harbor, FL
reviews: 13
8. Re: What to eat?

Clearwater has a large population of people from Hidalgo Mexico and there are lots of little taquerias in the downtown Clearwater area with authentic Mexican food. Not too far from Clearwater is Tarpon Springs which has a large Greek population. Visiting the sponge docks in Tarpon is fun and there are lots of great Greek restaurants and even though lots of tourists eat there - that is where the locals go for great Greek food as well. My recommendation is to get a Thurday edition of the St. Pete Times newspaper which has the local restaurant recommendations and one of the categories is "local flavor". I always follow the advice of the St Pete Times food critic & am rarely disappointed! Hope this helps.......

Massachusetts
9. Re: What to eat?

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Insider feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34438-s501/Miami:Flo…

To see more Miami pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34438-s1/…Inside.html

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :)

Have a great day!

10. Re: What to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 15, 2009